Magnetostatics multiple choice

In summary, a charged particle traveling through a magnetic field will experience a force that is parallel to the cross product of its velocity and the magnetic field. This can be determined using the right hand rule. The correct answer is option C, which states that the force is parallel to vxB.
goomer

Homework Statement

A charged particle traveling with a velocity v in a magnetic field B experiences a force F that must be:

A. parallel to v
B. perpendicular to only v
C. parallel to v-B
D. parallel to B
E. perpendicular to v x B

Homework Equations

Requires this right hand rule, I believe:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Right_Hand_Rule_vBF2.PNG

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the diagram, I'd say that the force should be perpendicular to both the force and the velocity and I had originally picked E. E is not correct, so would the right answer be B? But that would mean that force is not perpendicular to v and it very clearly is...

Physics news on Phys.org
goomer said:

Homework Statement

A charged particle traveling with a velocity v in a magnetic field B experiences a force F that must be:

A. parallel to v
B. perpendicular to only v
C. parallel to v-B
D. parallel to B
E. perpendicular to v x B

Homework Equations

Requires this right hand rule, I believe:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Right_Hand_Rule_vBF2.PNG

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the diagram, I'd say that the force should be perpendicular to both the force and the velocity and I had originally picked E. E is not correct, so would the right answer be B? But that would mean that force is not perpendicular to v and it very clearly is...
Are you sure you copied down the problem correctly? Including the choices? The answer isn't E, but it's not quite any of the other others either, as they're presently written.

goomer, can you check the wording of C ?

tiny-tim said:
goomer, can you check the wording of C ?

Oh sorry! C should be "Parallel to vxB".

I assume is C is the right answer then? If so, why?

goomer said:
Looking at the diagram, I'd say that the force should be perpendicular to both the [field] and the velocity …

from the pf library
The cross product of two vectors [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] is a third vector (strictly, a pseudovector or axial vector) [itex]\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B}[/itex] perpendicular to both of the original vectors … :wink:

Related to Magnetostatics multiple choice

1. What is the difference between magnetostatics and electromagnetism?

Magnetostatics refers to the study of magnetic fields in the absence of any changing electric fields, while electromagnetism includes the study of both electric and magnetic fields and their interactions.

2. How do magnetic materials behave in a magnetostatic field?

In a magnetostatic field, magnetic materials will experience a force and align themselves with the direction of the field. This is known as magnetization.

3. What is the relationship between electric current and magnetostatic fields?

Electric current is the source of magnetostatic fields. Moving charges create magnetic fields, and the strength of the field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current.

4. Can a magnetostatic field exist without a source?

No, a magnetostatic field requires a source of moving charges, such as an electric current, to exist.

5. How are magnetic fields represented in magnetostatics?

Magnetic fields are represented using vector quantities, with direction and magnitude. The direction of the field is given by the direction of the force experienced by a positive test charge, while the strength is given by the magnitude of the force.