Magnification formula for a Galilean telescope

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of drawing a ray diagram for an incident plane wave with an angle α to the optical axis of a telescope. The goal is to find an expression for the angle between the outgoing rays and the optical axis using the focal lengths of the converging and diverging lenses. The conversation also touches on the concept of angular magnification and its relation to the angle subtended by an object when viewed with and without a telescope.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am asked to draw the ray diagram
for an incident plane wave whose rays are at an angle α with respect to the optical axis of the telescope. I have done this, but I need to find an expression for the angle between the outgoing rays and the optical axis, in terms of f1, f2, and α . f1 is the focal length for the converging lens and f2 is the focal length for the diverging lens

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that generally the magnification would be (-) f1/f2. I am wondering how the angle α will affect this. As to the actual question at hand, I am unsure how to proceed. I believe that the rays are not outgoing at an angle of α, but otherwise I am unsure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:
the angle between the outgoing rays and the optical axis, in terms of f1, f2, and α
As I understand it, parallel rays entering the telescope emerge still parallel. If opposite edges of some distant object subtend an angle θ at the telescope, and the telescope has magnification m, what angle must the rays from one edge and rays from the other edge form on exit from the telescope?

The magnification that you mention Cocoleia is the angular magnification.
It is the ratio of the angle subtended by the object at the eye when the object is viewed with telescope, or the angle of the image formed by the telescope, divided by the angle of the object when viewed without the telescope.

1. What is the magnification formula for a Galilean telescope?

The magnification formula for a Galilean telescope is m = -fo/fe, where m represents the magnification, fo is the focal length of the objective lens, and fe is the focal length of the eyepiece.

2. How is the magnification of a Galilean telescope calculated?

The magnification of a Galilean telescope is calculated by dividing the focal length of the objective lens by the focal length of the eyepiece and then adding a negative sign. This results in a magnified image for the viewer.

3. Does the magnification of a Galilean telescope change with different eyepieces?

No, the magnification of a Galilean telescope is determined solely by the focal lengths of the objective lens and eyepiece. Changing the eyepiece will not affect the magnification of the telescope.

4. What is the maximum magnification possible with a Galilean telescope?

The maximum magnification possible with a Galilean telescope is limited by the size and quality of the objective lens. Generally, a magnification of 3x to 5x is achievable with a Galilean telescope.

5. How does the magnification of a Galilean telescope compare to other types of telescopes?

The magnification of a Galilean telescope is typically lower than other types of telescopes, such as refracting or reflecting telescopes. However, Galilean telescopes are more compact and lightweight, making them suitable for portable use.