Magnitude of a vector in polar coordinates

In summary, the magnitude of the velocity vector is √52 m/s and the magnitude of the acceleration is 20 m/s^2. However, in order to fully solve the problem, the second derivatives of the polar coordinates with respect to time are needed. It is also important to note that the local rectilinear coordinate system defined by \hat{r} and \hat{\theta} is moving, so the time rate of change of the basis vectors must be taken into account when calculating the acceleration vector.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude of the velocity vector if ##\vec{v} = 4 \hat{r} + 6 \hat{\theta}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how do do this in Cartesian coordinates (use the Pythagorean theorem), but not so sure how to do it in polar coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Though the point at which this vector is defined may be given in polar coordinates, the basis expansion [itex]\hat{r},\hat{\theta}[/itex] by which the vector is expressed is still an ortho-normal basis so your vector's magnitude still is the root summed square of components.

jambaugh said:
Though the point at which this vector is defined may be given in polar coordinates, the basis expansion [itex]\hat{r},\hat{\theta}[/itex] by which the vector is expressed is still an ortho-normal basis so your vector's magnitude still is the root summed square of components.
Cool! Now I have a similar question.

I am given that ##\dot{r} = 4 ~m/s## and ##\dot{\theta} = 2## rad/s, and when a particle is 3 m from the origin, I am asked to find the magnitude of the velocity and the acceleration. This is easy enough.

From the givens, we know that ##\vec{v} = 4 \hat{r} + 6 \hat{\theta}##. Then we have a magnitude of ##\sqrt{52}##. Then to find the acceleration, we can do either of two things: ##a = \frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{52}{3} = 17.33## m/s. But also, we could use the given information to derive the acceleration vector, which would be ##\vec{a} = -12 \hat{r} + 16 \hat{\theta}##. We find the magnitude of this is 20 m/s^2, not the same as the 17.33 we got earlier. What is going on?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Cool! Now I have a similar question.

I am given that ##\dot{r} = 4 ~m/s## and ##\dot{\theta} = 2## rad/s, and when a particle is 3 m from the origin, I am asked to find the magnitude of the velocity and the acceleration. This is easy enough.

From the givens, we know that ##\vec{v} = 4 \hat{r} + 6 \hat{\theta}##. Then we have a magnitude of ##\sqrt{52}##. Then to find the acceleration, we can do either of two things: ##a = \frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{52}{3} = 17.33## m/s. But also, we could use the given information to derive the acceleration vector, which would be ##\vec{a} = -12 \hat{r} + 16 \hat{\theta}##. We find the magnitude of this is 20 m/s^2, not the same as the 17.33 we got earlier. What is going on?
The acceleration is v2/r in case of uniform circular motion when the velocity is perpendicular to the radius and the acceleration is centripetal only.

ehild said:
The acceleration is v2/r in case of uniform circular motion when the velocity is perpendicular to the radius and the acceleration is centripetal only.
So is the correct answer for the magnitude of the acceleration 17.33 m/s^2?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So is the correct answer for the magnitude of the acceleration 17.33 m/s^2?
No. Is it uniform circular motion?

ehild said:
No. Is it uniform circular motion?
Oops, I meant is the correct magnitude for the acceleration 20 m/s^2? (I looked at the wrong number)

Mr Davis 97 said:
Oops, I meant is the correct magnitude for the acceleration 20 m/s^2? (I looked at the wrong number)
That is correct.

An important feature of this problem is that the local rectilinear coordinate system defined by [itex]\hat{r},\hat{\theta}[/itex] is moving. Thus in calculating the acceleration vector you must take into account the time rate of change of the basis vectors.

In general: [itex] \hat{r} = \hat{i}\cos(\theta) + \hat{j}\sin(\theta)[/itex] so then [itex]\dot{\hat{r}} = \dot{\theta}(-\hat{i}\sin(\theta)+ \hat{j}\cos(\theta)) \equiv \dot{\theta}\hat{\theta}[/itex]. Similarly [itex]\dot{\hat{\theta}} = - \dot{\theta}\hat{r}[/itex]. With these worked out you can take the time derivatives of the position vector to get velocity and acceleration in the local (normalized) coordinate basis:
Velocity: [itex]\vec{r} = r\hat{r},\quad \vec{v}=\dot{\vec{r}} = \dot{r}\hat{r} + r\dot{\hat{r}}=\dot{r}\hat{r} + r\dot{\theta}\hat{\theta}[/itex]
Acceleration:
[itex]\vec{a}=\dot{\vec{v}}=\ddot{r}\hat{r} + \dot{r}\dot{\hat{r}}+ \dot{r}\dot{\theta}\hat{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta}\hat{\theta} + r\dot{\theta}\dot{\hat{\theta}}= [\ddot{r}-r\dot{\theta}^2]\hat{r} +[ 2 \dot{r}\dot{\theta} + r\ddot{\theta}]\hat{\theta} [/itex]

Knowing your velocity is [itex]4\hat{r} + 6\hat{\theta}[/itex] you know that [itex]\dot{r}=4, r\dot{\theta} = 6[/itex] and given [itex] r = 3meters[/itex] you have [itex]\dot{\theta} = 2[/itex].

The acceleration vector is then:
[itex] [\ddot{r}-(3)(2)^2]\hat{r} +[ 2 (4)(2) + (3)\ddot{\theta}]\hat{\theta} = [\ddot{r}-12]\hat{r}+[16+\ddot{\theta}]\hat{\theta}[/itex]
You have not given enough information to solve the problem. You need the 2nd derivatives of the polar coordinates w.r.t. time. Presumably these are zero? You haven't stated the full problem as given to you. Was there something stating constant rate of change of theses?

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the definition of magnitude in polar coordinates?

The magnitude of a vector in polar coordinates is the length of the vector, which is represented by the distance from the origin to the tip of the vector. It is also known as the modulus or absolute value of the vector.

2. How is the magnitude calculated in polar coordinates?

The magnitude of a vector in polar coordinates is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components (r and θ).

3. Can the magnitude of a vector in polar coordinates be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector in polar coordinates is always positive. This is because it represents the distance from the origin to the tip of the vector, which cannot be negative.

4. How is the magnitude affected by the direction of a vector in polar coordinates?

The magnitude of a vector in polar coordinates is not affected by its direction. It only depends on the length of the vector, which is represented by the value of r. The direction of the vector is represented by the angle θ.

5. What is the significance of the magnitude in polar coordinates?

The magnitude of a vector in polar coordinates is important because it gives information about the size or strength of the vector. It is also used to calculate other important quantities, such as the dot product and cross product of two vectors.