Magnitude of Acceleration without time?

In summary, we are calculating the magnitude of acceleration for a speedboat that increases its speed uniformly from 50.0 m/s to 80.0 m/s over a distance of 200 m. Using the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, we find the acceleration to be 9.75 m/s.
drifterxs12

Homework Statement

A speedboat increases its speed uniformly from 50.0 m/s to 80.0 m/s over a distance of 200 m.
What is the magnitude of the boat's acceleration if its acceleration was constant?
(Note that you can find the acceleration without finding the time first.)

Homework Equations

Not sure what equation to use since I have no time

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to go about this.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
you know initial velocity, final velocity and distance right?
Now which of the three equations of motion would you use which contain all these along with acceleration?
And yes you can solve without time!
Thing is simple... just substitute and solve!

The legend said:
you know initial velocity, final velocity and distance right?
Now which of the three equations of motion would you use which contain all these along with acceleration?
And yes you can solve without time!
Thing is simple... just substitute and solve!

So would it be 80^2=50^2+2a(200-0)?

Which would give me 9.75 m/s

drifterxs12 said:
So would it be 80^2=50^2+2a(200-0)?

Which would give me 9.75 m/s

Yes that's the way!

The legend said:
Yes that's the way!

Thank you!

I haven't taken the pre-req math class for the physics class I am taking so its been pretty tough for me.

Your welcome,
I have similar problems as yours about the math...

Related to Magnitude of Acceleration without time?

1. What is magnitude of acceleration without time?

The magnitude of acceleration without time refers to the measurement of how much an object's velocity changes in a given period of time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is magnitude of acceleration without time calculated?

The magnitude of acceleration without time is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. Can magnitude of acceleration without time be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of acceleration without time can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down or changing direction, as the velocity is decreasing or is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

4. How does magnitude of acceleration without time affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of acceleration without time affects an object's motion by determining how quickly its velocity changes. A larger magnitude of acceleration will result in a greater change in velocity, causing the object to move faster or change direction more rapidly.

5. What factors can affect the magnitude of acceleration without time?

The magnitude of acceleration without time can be affected by various factors, such as the force applied to the object, the object's mass, and any external forces acting on the object (such as friction or air resistance). These factors can either increase or decrease the magnitude of acceleration without time.