Magnitude of the Line Charge Density of a Power Line

In summary, the individual was confused about how to use Latex on a website and attached a file with their work and thought process. They were directed to a guide for using Latex and expressed appreciation for the helpfulness and welcoming nature of the community. They also mentioned wanting to use a better equation, closer to ## dV = -E\, dr ##.
frankifur
Homework Statement
The potential difference between the surface of a 3.1 cm - diameter power line and a point 1.4 m distance is 3.9 kV.
Relevant Equations
Delta V = - E Delta r
Phi = Integral (E A) = qenc/epsilon naught
Okay so I am a little confused as to where I made a mistake. I couldn't figure out how to program Latex into this website but I attached a file with the work I did and an explanation of my thought process along the way.

Attachments

• Physics Homework Help.pdf
    119.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 3.34.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 3.34.33 PM.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

frankifur said:
I couldn't figure out how to program Latex into this website
See the "LaTeX Guide" link at the lower left of the Edit window. :smile:

Likes MatinSAR and frankifur
Hello @frankifur ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

frankifur said:
confused as to where I made a mistake

You want to use something better than ##\Delta V = -E\,r ##. Closer to ## dV = -E\, dr ##.

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR and frankifur
I figured it out, thanks for the help and I appreciate how welcoming you all have been!

Likes BvU, MatinSAR and berkeman

What is the magnitude of the line charge density of a power line?

The magnitude of the line charge density of a power line refers to the amount of electric charge per unit length of the power line. It is usually measured in units of coulombs per meter (C/m).

How is the magnitude of the line charge density of a power line calculated?

The magnitude of the line charge density of a power line can be calculated by dividing the total charge on the power line by its length. This can be expressed as Q/L, where Q is the total charge and L is the length of the power line.

What factors affect the magnitude of the line charge density of a power line?

The magnitude of the line charge density of a power line can be affected by several factors, including the voltage of the power line, the material of the power line, and the distance between the power line and other objects.

Why is the magnitude of the line charge density of a power line important?

The magnitude of the line charge density of a power line is important because it determines the strength of the electric field around the power line. This can have implications for safety and for the performance of electronic devices near the power line.

Can the magnitude of the line charge density of a power line be changed?

Yes, the magnitude of the line charge density of a power line can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the voltage or the distance between the power line and other objects. However, these changes must be done carefully to ensure the safety and functionality of the power line and surrounding environment.