Majorana Path Integral: Deriving VEVs of Barred/Unbarred Fields

In summary, Srednicki leads us to Z_0 (\eta)=\int \mathcal{D}\Psi \exp{\left[i\int\,\mathrm{d}^4x (\mathcal{L}_0+\eta^{T}\psi)\right]} for a Majorana field.
LAHLH
Hi,

By analogy with scalar field case, Srednicki leads us to [tex] Z_0 (\eta)=\int \mathcal{D}\Psi \exp{\left[i\int\,\mathrm{d}^4x (\mathcal{L}_0+\eta^{T}\psi)\right]} [/tex] for a Majorana field.

I was expecting something different, like maybe: [tex] Z_0 (\eta)=\int \mathcal{D}\Psi\exp{\left[i\int\,\mathrm{d}^4x (\mathcal{L}_0+\eta^{T}\psi+\eta\psi^{T})\right]} [/tex] at least.

or even: [tex] Z_0 (\eta)=\int \mathcal{D}\Psi \mathcal{D}\bar{\Psi}\ \exp{\left[i\int\,\mathrm{d}^4x (\mathcal{L}_0+\bar{\eta}\psi+\eta\bar{\psi})\right]} [/tex] (why a transpose on eta now and not a bar?)

I mean how would derive VEV's of a a product of barred and unbarred fields like [tex] \langle 0|T\Psi_{\alpha}(x)\bar{\Psi}_{\beta}(y)|0\rangle [/tex] as he computes at the end of ch42, with the above.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because it is the path integral for a Majorana field. The third path integral you wrote down would apply to a Dirac field. The second has no meaning. The first (and Srednicki's one) is the one that applies to a Majorana field.

In a nutshell, a Majorana field is a more "basic" object than a Dirac field. A Dirac field is the (complex) sum of two Majorana fields. There is no notion of a "barred" majorana field -- barring the Majorana field operator gives you back the same operator!

But there is a notion of barred for Majorana, it is just that we have the Majorana condition too: [tex] \bar{\Psi}=\Psi^{T}\mathcal{C} [/tex], and in fact in ch42 Srednicki actually calculates the VEVs of various products of Majornana barred fields etc

I know from the previous chapters that a Majorana field is more basic as you say, and a Dirac field is like two of these objects, and in some sense this is why a Majorana field is analogous to a real scalar field, whereas the Dirac is analogous to a complex scalar field. But nevertheless you can bar Majorana fields and calculate various VEV products of them, and I can't see how one would do this from such a path integral.

Last edited:
Could anyone say anything further about this?

Specifically I'm just wondering how one could calculate something like Srednicki's 42.19: [tex] i\langle 0|T\Psi_{\alpha}(x)\bar{\Psi}_{\beta}(y)|0\rangle =S(x-y)_{\alpha\beta} [/tex]
which is for Majorna fields, from the functional integral Srednicki gives above.

thanks

You first compute with all psi's, and then change as many as you want to psibar's using the Majorana relation between psi and psibar. With Majorana fields (and sources), the barred fields are redundant, and therefore it is best to avoid using them.

I see, makes sense. Thanks alot.

1. What is the Majorana path integral?

The Majorana path integral is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to calculate vacuum expectation values (VEVs) of barred and unbarred fields. It is named after Italian physicist Ettore Majorana, who first proposed the concept in the 1930s.

2. How does the Majorana path integral work?

The Majorana path integral involves summing over all possible paths in a field theory, taking into account the phase factors associated with each path. These phase factors are determined by the classical equations of motion for the fields. The path integral formalism allows for the calculation of VEVs, which are important in understanding the behavior of quantum fields.

3. What is the significance of VEVs in quantum field theory?

VEVs, or vacuum expectation values, are important quantities in quantum field theory as they represent the average values of fields in the vacuum state. They provide information about the ground state of a system and can be used to calculate various physical observables, such as particle masses and interaction strengths.

4. What are barred and unbarred fields?

Barred and unbarred fields are two types of fields that can be described using the Majorana path integral. Barred fields are those that transform under the complex conjugate representation of the underlying symmetry group, while unbarred fields transform under the regular representation. In other words, barred fields are the complex conjugates of unbarred fields.

5. What are some applications of the Majorana path integral?

The Majorana path integral has been used in various areas of theoretical physics, including quantum chromodynamics, quantum electrodynamics, and condensed matter physics. It has also been applied in the study of topological states of matter and in the calculation of scattering amplitudes in particle physics. Additionally, the path integral formalism has been extended to other areas of physics, such as statistical mechanics and quantum gravity.