Make use of Gaussian symmetry?

In summary, the question is asking if the average velocity of a gas of weakly interacting molecules is zero. The answer is that it is if you exclude the negative velocities.
AStaunton
The question is:

for a gas of weakly interacting molecules show that <v_x>=0

where <v_x> is the average velocity in the x direction.

the probability of a molecule having a velocity v is given by:

[tex]p(v_{X})=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2\pi kT}}e^{-\frac{mv_{x}^{2}}{2kT}}[/tex]

The above is a Gaussian curve with max amplitude sqrt(m/2(pi)kT) at v_x=0 and it decays symmetrically either way. and of course due to the symmetry ie. the Gaussian is an even function the positive velocities will cancel the negative velocites and thus the average v_x will be 0...

This is the only way I can show that <v_x>=0. can anyone suggest a more formal/"proofy" way to show this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Definition of expectation value: [tex]<v_x>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}v_x{\rho}(v_x)dv_x[/tex]

At a glance, I don't think it's a difficult integral to calculate

In fact, you probably don't even need to do any calculation since v_x is an odd function and rho(v_x) is an even function, you should get an odd function when you multiply them.

I notice that you're integrating from -infinity to infinity...

The integral I have seen to give <v> goes from 0 to infinity, alll else is the same as what you have shown, also I assume you meant dv_x instead of dx?

Why do you integrate from -infinity instead of 0?

not to fire too many questions at ya, but can you explain how you know v_x is an odd function?

The particles can travel in the negative direction. If you don't allow that, then all of them have a positive velocity and of course the average will not be zero. And yes I meant dv_x; I tried to change it but maybe it didn't go through quickly enough...

not to fire too many questions at ya, but can you explain how you know v_x is an odd function?

Let f(v_x) = v_x. Then f(-v_x) = -v_x = -f(v_x). Since f(-v_x) = -f(v_x) it must be odd (unless I'm remembering the definition of an odd function wrongly)

just to clarify - what I said that the way to calculate probability was to go from 0 to infinity as in:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}vf(v)dv[/tex]

where:

[tex]f(v)=4\pi(\frac{m}{2\pi kT})^{\frac{3}{2}}v^{2}e^{-mv^{2}/2kT}[/tex]

The difference is that here we're talking about speed where as with the Gaussian plot, that was with velocity which is why you integrate from -infty to infty? and of course speed can't be negative

Related to Make use of Gaussian symmetry?

1. What is Gaussian symmetry?

Gaussian symmetry refers to the symmetry of a molecule's electron density distribution. It is based on the Gaussian distribution, which describes the probability of finding an electron at a specific location in space. A molecule with Gaussian symmetry has a symmetric electron density distribution, meaning that it is equally likely to find an electron at any point on its surface.

2. How is Gaussian symmetry used in chemistry?

Gaussian symmetry is used to simplify calculations and predictions in chemistry. By taking advantage of the symmetry of a molecule's electron density distribution, scientists can reduce the complexity of their calculations and make more accurate predictions about a molecule's properties, such as its molecular orbitals and spectroscopic behavior.

3. What are the benefits of using Gaussian symmetry?

One of the main benefits of using Gaussian symmetry is that it can significantly reduce the computational workload in chemistry. By reducing the number of calculations needed, researchers can save time and resources while still obtaining accurate results. Additionally, using Gaussian symmetry can help identify patterns and relationships between different molecules, leading to a better understanding of chemical structures and reactions.

4. Are there any limitations to using Gaussian symmetry?

While Gaussian symmetry can be a powerful tool in chemistry, it does have its limitations. It is most effective for molecules with high levels of symmetry, and its accuracy decreases for molecules with lower symmetry. Additionally, Gaussian symmetry does not take into account the effects of electron-electron interactions, which can have a significant impact on a molecule's properties.

5. How can I make use of Gaussian symmetry in my research?

If you are conducting research in chemistry, you can make use of Gaussian symmetry by incorporating it into your calculations and predictions. Many computational chemistry software programs have built-in algorithms for handling Gaussian symmetry, making it easy to apply to your research. Additionally, studying the symmetry of molecules can provide insights into their properties and behaviors, leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field.