Marginal distribution, double integral clarification

In summary, the problem involves finding the marginal probability functions f_{x}(x) and f_{y}(y) for a uniformly distributed area T = {(x,y): 0 < x < 2, -x < 2y < 0}. The boundaries for each function are rewritten and integrated accordingly, resulting in f(y) = 2 + 2y and f(x) = (1/2)x. To find E(X) and E(Y), integrate x*f(x) and y*f(y) over the full range of x and y, respectively.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

(X,Y) is uniformly distributed over the area

T = {(x,y): 0 < x < 2, -x < 2y < 0}

Find the marginal probability functions ie [itex]f_{x}(x)[/itex] and [itex]f_{y}(y)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing I'm having trouble with is that y depends on x. Am I supposed to rewrite the boundaries for each marginal function? It feels like I'm doing things a roundabout way!

F(x,y) = [itex]\int\int dx dy[/itex]

I.e. to find f(y):

-x < 2y < 0 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] x > -2y > 0 [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] -2y < x < 2

Which means I can integrate with respect to x from -2y to 2, leaving me with f(y) = 2 + 2y

And if I instead want to find f(x):

-x < 2y < 0 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] -(1/2)x < y < 0

Which means I integrate with respect to y from -(1/2)x to 0, leaving me with f(x) = (1/2)x.

Again, it feels pretty roundabout and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, if I wanted to find E(X) and E(Y) here after finding f(x) and f(y), what interval should I integrate x*f(x) over, given that they are bounded by each other?

Your method of extracting f(x) and f(y) looks fine, and gets the right answers.
For E(X), just integrate xf(x) over the full range of x, etc.

Thanks Haruspex!

1. What is a marginal distribution?

A marginal distribution is a probability distribution of a subset of variables from a larger set of variables. It is obtained by summing or integrating over the other variables in the set. Marginal distributions are useful for understanding the relationship between variables in a dataset.

2. How is a marginal distribution different from a joint distribution?

A joint distribution describes the probability of two or more variables occurring together, while a marginal distribution describes the probability of a single variable occurring. In other words, a joint distribution shows the relationship between variables, while a marginal distribution focuses on a specific variable.

3. What is a double integral?

A double integral is an integral with two variables, used to calculate the volume under a curved surface in two-dimensional space. It involves multiplying the function being integrated by an infinitesimal area element and integrating over the region of interest.

4. How is a double integral used in probability distributions?

In probability, a double integral is used to calculate the probability of an event occurring within a specific region of a joint probability density function. This is useful for understanding how two variables affect the likelihood of a particular outcome.

5. Can you provide an example of using a double integral to find a marginal distribution?

Yes, for example, if we have a joint probability density function f(x,y) and we want to find the marginal distribution of x, we can use the double integral ∫-∞ f(x,y) dy. This will sum or integrate over all possible values of y, leaving only the variable x in the resulting marginal distribution.