Mass and Center of Mass

In summary: Moreover, the mass M should be a constant, independent of the choice of coordinates (x,y,z). So it cannot depend on x.I get M=1/6, Myz=3/8, Mxz=1/8, Mxy=3/16, and the center of mass at (3/4, 1/4, 1/4).
squeeky

Homework Statement

Find the mass and center of mass of the solid bounded by the planes x=0, y=0, z=0, x+y+z=1; density[tex]\delta[/tex](x,y,z)=y

Homework Equations

[tex]M=\int\int_D\int\delta dV[/tex]
[tex]M_{yz}\int\int_D\int x \delta dV;M_{xz}\int\int_D\int y \delta dV;M_{xy}\int\int_D\int z \delta dV[/tex]
[tex]C.O.M.=(\bar{x},\bar{y},\bar{z})[/tex]
[tex]\bar{x}=\frac{M_{yz}}{M};\bar{y}\frac{M_{xz}}{M};\bar{z}\frac{M_{xy}}{M}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if it's right, but I took the limits to be from 0 to 1 for x, 0 to 1-x for y, and 0 to 1-x-y for z. This gave me the equation:
[tex]M=\int^1_0\int^{1-x}_0\int^{1-x-y}_0 \delta dzdydx[/tex]
Solving this, I got a mass of -1/3, Mxy=-17/180, Myz=41/120, Mxz=1/20, and the center of mass at (-41/40, -3/20, 17/60)
Could someone check if I did everything right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The limits of integration are correct. But I do NOT get "-1/3" as the mass! In fact, it should be obvious that the integral of the function y over a region in the first octant cannot be negative.

What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is a fundamental property of an object and is often measured in kilograms (kg).

How is mass different from weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity, but mass remains constant.

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point in an object where the mass is evenly distributed. It is the point where an object can be balanced, even if it is an irregular shape. In simpler terms, it is the average position of all the mass in an object.

Why is the center of mass important?

The center of mass is important because it helps to understand how an object will move and behave when subjected to external forces. It is also useful in engineering and designing structures that need to be stable and balanced.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles that make up the object. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the object's shape and distribution of mass.