Mass conservation in a sphere to find radial velocity of a flame

In summary, the question is asking for an explanation of which form of mass conservation applies to a spherical control volume in the context of a combustion problem. The suggested assumptions are that the mass of combustion products, air and fuel, are present throughout the volume and the combustion rate is limited by available surface area as the flame expands in a spherical shape.
Andrew1235
Homework Statement
Problem description: https://i.stack.imgur.com/7T2OM.png
Relevant Equations
Mass conservation for a spherical control volume
I am not sure what form of mass conservation to use to solve the above problem from An Introduction to Combustion by Stephen Turns. Can anyone explain what form of mass conservation applies to a sphere in this context?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note: Moved thread to advanced physics homework forum.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Andrew1235 said:
Homework Statement:: Problem description: https://i.stack.imgur.com/7T2OM.png
Relevant Equations:: Mass conservation for a spherical control volume

I am not sure what form of mass conservation to use to solve the above problem from An Introduction to Combustion by Stephen Turns. Can anyone explain what form of mass conservation applies to a sphere in this context?
I would assume the mass of the combustion products, air and fuel, are present throughout the volume and the flame front propagates without mixing or changing the density of that mixture pre and post combustion. I would also assume the combustion rate is limited by the available surface area as the flame expands in a spherical shape. But those assumptions could be way off.

1. What is mass conservation in a sphere?

Mass conservation in a sphere refers to the principle that the total mass of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that any changes in the distribution of matter within the system must be balanced by an equal and opposite change elsewhere in the system.

2. How is mass conservation related to finding the radial velocity of a flame?

In the context of finding the radial velocity of a flame, mass conservation is important because it allows us to calculate the radial velocity of the flame based on the mass flow rate of the fuel and air entering the system. This is because the total mass entering the system must be equal to the total mass exiting the system, and this can be used to determine the velocity of the flame.

3. What factors affect the radial velocity of a flame in a sphere?

The radial velocity of a flame in a sphere is affected by several factors, including the mass flow rate of the fuel and air, the temperature and pressure of the system, and the geometry and size of the sphere. These factors can all impact the distribution of mass within the system and therefore affect the velocity of the flame.

4. How is the radial velocity of a flame in a sphere calculated?

The radial velocity of a flame in a sphere can be calculated using the equation v = m_dot / (ρ * A), where v is the velocity, m_dot is the mass flow rate, ρ is the density of the fluid, and A is the cross-sectional area of the sphere. This equation is based on the principle of mass conservation and can be used to determine the velocity of the flame at any point within the sphere.

5. Why is understanding mass conservation and radial velocity important in studying flames?

Understanding mass conservation and radial velocity is important in studying flames because it allows us to accurately predict and control the behavior of flames in various systems. By understanding the principles of mass conservation, we can determine the velocity of a flame and how it will interact with its surroundings, which is crucial in applications such as combustion engines and industrial processes.