Mass flow and differentials

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems (3.9 and 3.10) from Kleppner Kolenkow that seem to contradict each other. The first problem involves a freight car with a mass of sand and a constant horizontal force, while the second problem involves an empty freight car with a force and sand running into it at a steady rate. The conversation also delves into the use of differentials and the concept of "extra" terms in these equations. The use of a momentum approach is also mentioned and questioned.
Order

Homework Statement

Just have to ask one more question :redface:. I have two problems which I don't understand in Kleppner Kolenkow. They seem to contradict each other in my view. The first is 3.9 and the second is 3.10.

3.9 A freight car of mass M contains a mass of sand m. At t = 0 a constant horisontal force F is applied in the direction of rolling and at the same time a port in the bottom is opened to let the sand flow out at constant rate dm/dt.
Find the speed of the freight car when all the sand is gone. Assume the freight car is at rest at t = 0.

3.10 An empty freight car of mass M starts from rest under an applied force F. At the same time, sand begins to run into the car at steady rate b from a hopper at rest along the track.
Find the speed when the mass of sand, m has been transferred.

Homework Equations

F = dP/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to find the differentials for these two problems.

3.9 P(t) = (M + m - dm/dt*t)v
P(t + dt) = (M + m - dm/dt*(t + dt))(v + dv) + dm/dt*dt*v
The last term dm/dt*dt*v is what I don't understand. The physical meaning of it being that the car gets an extra "boost" when mass flows out. The full differnatial equation becomes:
dP/dt = dv/dt*(M + m - dm/dt*t)

Lets look at the differentials of the other problem.

3.10 P(t) = Mv + vbt
P(t + dt) = M(v + dv) + (v + dv)b(t + dt)
In the same spirit as of the last problem I want to add a term b*dt*v, because the car is slowed down when sand at rest hits the car of speed v. The full differential equation becomes:
dP/dt = dv/dt*(M + bt) +bv
which is correct from check.

My question is, why add an extra term in 3.9 and not in 3.10?

Physics news on Phys.org
For 3.9, the phenomenon is like this: M+(m-dm/dt*t) is running, and the whole thing drops a mass of dm/dt*dt. If you exclude the "extra" term, the system in the first equation will be different from the system in the 2nd one: while it's the whole thing M+(m-dm/dt*t) in the 1st, it would be just M+(m-dm/dt*t) - dm/dt*dt in the 2nd. That's totally fine until you write this equation: P(t+dt) - P(t) = Fdt. You know why? :smile:

The same reason applies for 3.10. However, the "extra" term actually hides itself in this case.

hikaru1221 said:
The same reason applies for 3.10. However, the "extra" term actually hides itself in this case.

Yes I see! The whole system includes the mass that is dropped in 3.9, even if it is not on the car.

In 3.10 the mass hides as a term b*dt*0 in the P(t) equation because the hopper is at rest. Thanks Hikaru!

I think i can see why. I'm a little confused about if there are internal or external forces missing, but subtracting two different systems (P(t + dt) - P(t)) cannot be right.

Last edited:
Subtracting those two is still okay (though quite pointless), but equating the difference with Fdt is the problem.

Is there some particular reason why you want to take a momentum approach to this problem?

gneill said:
Is there some particular reason why you want to take a momentum approach to this problem?

Well, the force is constant, so I guess it could be solved before the university level, when you learn that Work=Force*distance, but I was a little confused about momentum conservation and wanted to give air to the paradoxes in my head. Now I can apply it much better and I feel more confident too.

Related to Mass flow and differentials

1. What is mass flow and how is it measured?

Mass flow refers to the rate at which mass is transferred through a system. It is measured by dividing the total mass transferred by the time it takes to transfer that mass.

2. What is a mass flow differential?

A mass flow differential is the difference in mass flow between two points in a system. It is often used to measure the flow rate at different stages of a process or to monitor the efficiency of a system.

3. How is mass flow differential calculated?

To calculate mass flow differential, you need to measure the mass flow at two points in a system and then subtract the smaller value from the larger one. This will give you the difference in mass flow between the two points.

4. What factors can affect mass flow and differentials?

There are several factors that can affect mass flow and differentials, including changes in temperature, pressure, and viscosity of the fluid being measured, as well as any obstructions or irregularities in the system.

5. How is mass flow and differentials used in various industries?

Mass flow and differentials are used in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, chemical processing, and aerospace. It is commonly used to monitor and control the flow of various substances such as liquids, gases, and powders in industrial processes.