How Do You Calculate the Density of States for Massless Particles in a 3D Cube?

In summary, to calculate the single particle density of states for massless particles with dispersion E=h_bar ck for a 3D cube of volume V, one can use the equation D(E) = (L/2pi*h_bar)^3 4pi*E^2/c^3, where L is the length of one side of the cube. This equation can be derived by converting the integration limits from momentum space to position space and taking into account the volume of the cube. To obtain the density of states per unit volume, the result can be divided by the volume V.
jammydav93

Homework Statement

Calculate the single particle density of states for massless particles with dispersion E=h_bar ck for a 3D cube of volume V

Homework Equations

E=pc, p=E/c,
dp=dE/c, d^3p = 4pi*p^2 dp
k=sqrt(k_x^2+k_y^2+k_z^2)
k_j = 2pi/L l_j (j=x,y,z)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried calculating the density of states in the exact same way as I do for a massive particle but using different energy relations.

Sum(all K)
= sum(all kx,ky,kz)
= int(dl_x dl_y dl_z)
= int ((2pi/Lh_bar)^3 d^3p)
= int ((2pi/Lh_bar)^3 4pi*p^2 dp)
= int ((2pi/Lh_bar)^3 4pi*E^2/c^3 dE)

D(E) = (2pi/Lh_bar)^3 4pi*E^2/c^3

The powers are correct for E and C however I seem to have a dependce on the volume (1/L^3 = 1/V) which I should not be getting - does anyone know why I am getting this?

Thanks,
James

Physics news on Phys.org
jammydav93 said:
k_j = 2pi/L l_j (j=x,y,z)
-----------------------
int(dl_x dl_y dl_z)
= int ((2pi/Lh_bar)^3 d^3p)

From ##k_j = \frac{2\pi}{L}l_j##, what do you get for ##dl_j## in terms of ##dk_j##?

I get:

dl_j = L/2pi dk_j = L/(2pi*h_bar) dp_j

Sorry that must have been a typo, I still seem to have an L^3 term which won't go away though.

I now get:
= int(dl_x dl_y dl_z)
= int ((L/2pi*h_bar)^3 d^3p)
= int ((L/2pi*h_bar)^3 4pi*p^2 dp)
= int ((L/2pi*h_bar)^3 4pi*E^2/c^3 dE)

D(E) = (L/2pi*h_bar)^3 4pi*E^2/c^3

OK, I think that's corect. But the density of states is often defined on a "per unit volume" basis. If that's what you need, how would you fix your result so that D(E)dE represents the number of states per unit volume with energy between E and E+dE?

Hello James,

Thank you for sharing your solution attempt. It seems like you have the right idea, but there is a small mistake in your calculation. The correct expression for the density of states for massless particles in a 3D cube of volume V is:

D(E) = (V/h_bar^3) * (2pi)^3 * E^2 / c^3

The mistake in your calculation is that you have used the volume of the cube in terms of its side length (V = L^3) instead of using the actual volume V. This is why you have a dependence on the volume in your final expression. By using the correct volume V, you should get the correct result without any dependence on V.

I hope this helps clarify your solution and allows you to arrive at the correct expression for the density of states for massless particles in a 3D cube.

Best,

Related to How Do You Calculate the Density of States for Massless Particles in a 3D Cube?

1. What is the concept of massless 3D density of states?

Massless 3D density of states refers to the number of quantum states per unit volume at a given energy level for a system that does not have a rest mass. This concept is commonly used in the study of massless particles, such as photons, in three-dimensional space.

2. How is massless 3D density of states calculated?

The massless 3D density of states is calculated by considering the number of quantum states per unit volume in a given energy range. This can be calculated using the equation: D(E) = V/ (2π^2) * (E^2/h^3), where V is the volume of the system, E is the energy level, and h is the Planck's constant.

3. What is the importance of massless 3D density of states in physics?

Massless 3D density of states is an important concept in physics as it helps in understanding the behavior of massless particles, such as photons, in three-dimensional space. It also plays a crucial role in the study of quantum mechanics and the properties of materials at the atomic level.

4. How does the massless 3D density of states differ from the 2D and 1D cases?

The massless 3D density of states differs from the 2D and 1D cases as it takes into account the three-dimensional nature of the system. In 2D and 1D systems, the density of states is dependent on the dimensions of the system, whereas in 3D systems, it is dependent on the energy level as well.

5. Can the massless 3D density of states be directly measured in experiments?

No, the massless 3D density of states cannot be directly measured in experiments. It is a theoretical concept that is used to understand the properties of massless particles and materials at the atomic level. However, its effects can be observed and measured indirectly through various experiments and calculations.