Masters degree letter of motivation feedback.

In summary, the speaker is sharing their motivation letter for the University of Regensburg's Masters program. They mention that their grades are above average but not great, and they do not have much research experience due to their BSc school. They also mention that they have avoided unnecessary information and focused on their strengths highlighted in their recommendation letters. They express their confidence in being a valuable addition to the graduate program and discuss their experiences in self-teaching algorithmics and programming, as well as their interest in solid state physics. They also mention completing two major projects, one of which was a group project and presented in a poster session. They state that these experiences have taught them about working in groups and self-study, and have prepared them for academic challenges
zivo
This is my motivation letter for the university of Regensburg (Masters). The bad thing is that my grades are above average, not great. And I have little to no research experience due to my BSc school. I avoided useless mumbo-jumbo and flatter so it's going to be short and to the point. I pushed the stengths which were strongly mentioned in my recommendation letters. Feedback greatly appreciated.

I am confident that my background will be a valuable addition to your graduate program. Throughout my second year, I taught myself algorithmics and programming and completed my first major project that allowed my to solve a wide variety of problems encountered in my waves and quanta course. In addition, I also got intrigued by solid state physics and started learning it through Ashcroft and Mermin's excellent book. During my final year, I learned computational physics on the side, and used to to complete my second major project, a group project for simulating ideal gases using the HPP model in a high performance implementation and presented it in a poster session. I believe this experience has taught me about working in groups and self-study, and prepared me for the academic challenges that lie ahead.

After attaining my Masters degree, I plan on pursuing a Ph.D in condensed matter. Particularly in emergent phenomena, a field which I grew to like during my Bachelor degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is a good structure for a letter.

You need at least 3 paragraphs : intro, body and conclusion with a salutation and signature block.

A few adjustments to language USAGE but that itself will not be enough.

zivo said:
I am confident that my background will be a valuable addition to your graduate program.
A reasonable main sentence or main idea sentence for the paragraph.

Then came the discussion of the main idea:
Throughout my second year, I taught myself algorithmics and programming and completed my first major project that allowed my to solve a wide variety of problems encountered in my waves and quanta course. In addition, I also got intrigued by solid state physics and started learning it through Ashcroft and Mermin's excellent book. During my final year, I learned computational physics on the side, and used to to complete my second major project, a group project for simulating ideal gases using the HPP model in a high performance implementation and presented it in a poster session. I believe this experience has taught me about working in groups and self-study, and prepared me for the academic challenges that lie ahead.
Nice ideas but NOT CLEAR OR SPECIFIC ENOUGH.

CivilSigma said:
I don't think this is a good structure for a letter.

You need at least 3 paragraphs : intro, body and conclusion with a salutation and signature block.

I deliberate left out the intro, salutation and signature block due to personal info.
symbolipoint said:
Nice ideas but NOT CLEAR OR SPECIFIC ENOUGH.

I thought that was clear, I was giving practical, specific experiences. Instead of willy-nilly. What do you mean by clear and specific, do you have an example?

Likes CivilSigma and member 587159

1. What is a Masters degree letter of motivation?

A Masters degree letter of motivation is a document that explains your reasons for pursuing a Masters degree in a particular field, as well as your qualifications, skills, and goals. It is usually required as part of the application process for a Masters program.

2. Why is a Masters degree letter of motivation important?

A Masters degree letter of motivation is important because it allows you to showcase your passion, motivation, and potential for success in a Masters program. It also gives the admissions committee a better understanding of your background, experiences, and goals.

3. What should be included in a Masters degree letter of motivation?

A Masters degree letter of motivation should include a brief introduction about yourself, your academic background and achievements, your reasons for choosing the specific program, your career goals, and any relevant experiences or skills that make you a strong candidate.

4. How should I structure my Masters degree letter of motivation?

It is recommended to follow a clear and concise structure for your Masters degree letter of motivation. Start with an introduction, then provide background information, explain your motivation and goals, and end with a strong conclusion. Make sure to proofread and edit your letter for clarity and coherence.

5. Can I use a template for my Masters degree letter of motivation?

While there are many templates available online, it is important to customize your Masters degree letter of motivation to reflect your unique experiences and goals. Admissions committees can easily spot generic templates and prefer to see a personalized and authentic letter.