Mathematical Proof of Kepler's First Law of Orbits

In summary: Newton's laws of motion)In summary, the conversation is about understanding the equations for an elliptical orbit related to Kepler's first law. The equations are r = distance from sun to any point on the orbit, p = semi latus rectrum, a = semi-major axis, e = eccentricity, and θ = true anomaly. The main question is where these equations come from and if the facts are correct. Resources such as classical mechanics and astrophysics books and online sources were suggested for further understanding.
Memocyl
Hello friends (I hope :biggrin:),

For a maths project I am working on, I need to be able to prove the equation for an elliptical orbit, related to Kepler's first law:

b115356a043a8d816886221bdd807dfb.png
and p = a(1-e2) (or should be as p can be replaced by that value)

Where:
r = distance from sun to any point on the orbit
p = semi latus rectrum
a = semi-major axis
e = eccentricity
θ = true anomaly (angle between a and r anticlockwise I think)

Can someone please help me to understand where these equations come from and also confirm that I have got my current facts straight?

Regards,
Memocyl

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you looked in classical mechanics and/or astrophysics books?

George Jones said:
Have you looked in classical mechanics and/or astrophysics books?
I haven't been able to come by any at the moment that help me derive the equation itself, which is what I don't understand. However, if you could name me any books that do that would be exceptionally helpful :smile:

Thank you
Memocyl

Examples at the level of about second-year university include "Analytical Mechanics" by Fowles and Cassiday, and "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Ryden and Peterson. I haven't looked, but I suspect that derivations of Kepler's first law also can be found on-line. Just Google "Kepler's first law".

George Jones said:
Examples at the level of about second-year university include "Analytical Mechanics" by Fowles and Cassiday, and "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Ryden and Peterson. I haven't looked, but I suspect that derivations of Kepler's first law also can be found on-line. Just Google "Kepler's first law".
I have tried online but to no avail unfortunately, apart from it bringing me here actually :biggrin:. Thank you very much though, I shall look for those books as soon as possible.

Regards
Memocyl

Memocyl said:
Hello friends (I hope :biggrin:),

For a maths project I am working on, I need to be able to prove the equation for an elliptical orbit, related to Kepler's first law:

b115356a043a8d816886221bdd807dfb.png
and p = a(1-e2) (or should be as p can be replaced by that value)

Where:
r = distance from sun to any point on the orbit
p = semi latus rectrum
a = semi-major axis
e = eccentricity
θ = true anomaly (angle between a and r anticlockwise I think)

Can someone please help me to understand where these equations come from and also confirm that I have got my current facts straight?

Regards,
Memocyl
There's plenty of material online which derives Kepler's laws from different perspectives.

Look at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion (check out the bibliography at the end of the article)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse (for details of the equation of the ellipse in polar form)

http://www.grputland.com/2013/12/self-contained-derivation-of-keplers-laws-from-Newtons-laws.html

1. What is Kepler's First Law of Orbits?

Kepler's First Law of Orbits states that all planets move in elliptical orbits around the sun, with the sun at one focus of the ellipse.

2. How was Kepler's First Law of Orbits proven mathematically?

Using mathematical equations derived from Newton's laws of motion and gravity, Kepler's First Law of Orbits was proven by showing that the force of gravity between the sun and a planet can result in an elliptical orbit.

3. Why is Kepler's First Law of Orbits important?

Kepler's First Law of Orbits revolutionized our understanding of the solar system and paved the way for future advancements in astronomy and space exploration. It also provided evidence for the heliocentric model of the solar system, with the sun at the center.

4. Can Kepler's First Law of Orbits be applied to other systems besides the solar system?

Yes, Kepler's First Law of Orbits can be applied to any system where a central body exerts a force on orbiting objects. It has been used to study and understand the motion of satellites, moons, and other celestial bodies.

5. Are there any exceptions to Kepler's First Law of Orbits?

While most planets in our solar system follow Kepler's First Law of Orbits, there are some exceptions. For example, comets and some dwarf planets have highly elliptical orbits that do not follow this law. Additionally, in rare cases, the gravitational influence of other planets or objects can cause a planet's orbit to deviate from an ellipse.