Matrix Proof using Unitary operators

In summary, the trace and determinant of two square matrices of the same rank are invariant under unitary transformation. This can be proven by applying the properties of trace and determinant, such as the property that the trace of a product of matrices is equal to the trace of their product in reverse order, and the property that the determinant of a product of matrices is equal to the product of their determinants.
andre220

Homework Statement

Show that if two square matrices of the same rank are related by unitary transformation [itex]\hat{A}=\hat{U}^\dagger\hat{B}\hat{U}[/itex] then their traces and determinants are the same.

Homework Equations

[itex]Tr(\hat{A}) =\sum\limits_{k=0}^{n}a_{kk}[/itex]
[itex]\hat{U}^\dagger\hat{U} = 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I have no idea where to start with this, my first thought is to expand the RHS of the transformation:

[tex]=\left(u_{ij}\right)^\dagger b_{ij} u_{ij} = \left(u_{ji}b_{ji}^*\right)u_{ij}[/tex]

But I am not sure if this right or where to go from there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think parts of your post are missing. As I understand it, you want to prove that the trace is invariant under unitary transformation. What properties of the trace are you familiar with? Can you write out the expression for the components of A?

You're right I was missing two parts of it, I edited the initial post. It is correct now. For component of A, I am not quite what you mean, something like this?: [tex]A =
\begin{pmatrix}
a_{1,1} & a_{1,2} & \cdots & a_{1,n} \\
a_{2,1} & a_{2,2} & \cdots & a_{2,n} \\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
a_{n,1} & a_{n,2} & \cdots & a_{n,n}
\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

And as for the properties of the trace: I'm familiar with most basic properties (I apologize, my einstein summation indices were not correct in the first post): i.e. [itex]Tr(AB) = Tr(BA)[/itex], [itex]Tr(BAB^{-1}) = Tr(A)[/itex], for example.

I think proving the weaker result that similar matrices have the same trace, determinant proves what you want, since being unitarily-equivalent/similar is stronger than just being similar.

I guess I don't understand why you aren't applying the property of trace to your problem. Pretty much the same for determinant. No need to look at components.

As Dick said, use the properties of the trace and determinant and the problem should be trivial. The determinant property you will need is ##{\rm det}(CD) = {\rm det}(C){\rm det}(D)##.

Yeah after he said that I looked at it an yeah I was making too much of it: essentially it is just:

[itex]\mathrm{Tr}(\hat{A})=\mathrm{Tr}(\hat{U}^\dagger\hat{B}\hat{U}) = \mathrm{Tr}(\hat{B}\hat{U}^\dagger\hat{U}) = \mathrm{Tr}(\hat{B}\hat{1}) = \mathrm{Tr}(\hat{B})[/itex]

and then it would almost identical for the determinant. Thank you for your help.

andre220 said:
[itex]Tr(\hat{A}) =\sum\limits_{k=0}^{n}a_{kk}[/itex]
andre220 said:
[tex]=\left(u_{ij}\right)^\dagger b_{ij} u_{ij} = \left(u_{ji}b_{ji}^*\right)u_{ij}[/tex]
The definition of matrix multiplication is ##(AB)_{ij}=A_{ik}B_{kj}## (with summation over repeated indices). So
\begin{align}
&\operatorname{Tr A}=A_{kk}=(U^\dagger BU)_{kk}=(U^\dagger)_{ki}(BU)_{ik}=(U^\dagger)_{ki}B_{ij}U_{jk} =B_{ij}U_{jk}(U^\dagger)_{ki} =B_{ij}(UU^\dagger)_{ji}\\ &=B_{ij}\delta_{ji}=B_{ii}=\operatorname{Tr} B.
\end{align}
This is how you prove that the trace has that nice property. The proof that determinants are equally nice is more complicated, because the definition of "determinant" is more complicated than the definition of "trace".

Last edited:
Yeah after he said that I looked at it an yeah I was making too much of it: essentially it is just:

[itex]\mathrm{Tr}(\hat{A})=\mathrm{Tr}(\hat{U}^\dagger\hat{B}\hat{U}) = \mathrm{Tr}(\hat{B}\hat{U}^\dagger\hat{U}) = \mathrm{Tr}(\hat{B}\hat{1}) = \mathrm{Tr}(\hat{B})[/itex]

and then it would almost identical for the determinant. Thank you for your help

Ahh okay that makes sense, I'm still getting the hang of the sum notation.

THank you.

Related to Matrix Proof using Unitary operators

1. What is a matrix proof using unitary operators?

A matrix proof using unitary operators is a method used in linear algebra to prove the equivalence of two matrices. It involves showing that two matrices can be transformed into each other by a series of unitary operations, which are operations that preserve the length and angle of vectors.

2. Why are unitary operators important in matrix proofs?

Unitary operators are important in matrix proofs because they allow us to manipulate matrices without changing their essential properties. This is useful when trying to prove the equivalence of two matrices, as it allows us to show that they are essentially the same despite any differences in their appearance or structure.

3. What are some common unitary operators used in matrix proofs?

Some common unitary operators used in matrix proofs include rotation, reflection, and scaling operations. These can be represented by matrices themselves, making it easier to perform and visualize the transformations on matrices.

4. How are unitary operators related to complex numbers?

Unitary operators are related to complex numbers because they can be represented by square matrices with complex entries. In fact, unitary matrices are a subset of complex matrices, where the conjugate transpose of a unitary matrix is equal to its inverse.

5. Can any two matrices be transformed into each other using unitary operators?

No, not all matrices can be transformed into each other using unitary operators. Only matrices that have the same dimensions and share certain properties, such as orthogonality, can be transformed into each other using unitary operators.