How Can I Determine the Number of Solutions in a Dependent System?

In summary: Now, x- (x+ 11)+ 2(7)= x- x- 11+ 14= 3 so 3= 3! x= anything and y= x+ 11. So there are infinitely many solutions.In summary, by row reducing the augmented matrix, it was determined that the given set of equations has infinitely many solutions, as indicated by a zero row and linear dependence between the equations. This was confirmed by finding that z=7 and x and y can take on any value, resulting in an infinite number of possible solutions.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

Write and row reduce the augmented matrix to find out whether the given set of equations has exactly one solution, no solutions, or infinitely many solutions.

-x+y-z=4
x-y+2z=3
2x-2y+4z=6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw right away that Row 3 and Row 2 are the same equation, off by a factor of 2. Because of this, I was able to make the matrix with a zero row for Row 2, which shows that row 2 and row 3 are linearly dependent. However, my question arises here. I know that a zero row and linear dependence of these two equations means that there is either 0 solutions or infinitely many solutions. Since they are linearly dependent, there is not one unique solution. However, How can I tell whether there is 0 solutions or infinitely many?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:

Homework Statement

Write and row reduce the augmented matrix to find out whether the given set of equations has exactly one solution, no solutions, or infinitely many solutions.

-x+y-z=4
x-y+2z=3
2x-2y+4z=6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw right away that Row 3 and Row 2 are the same equation, off by a factor of 2. Because of this, I was able to make the matrix with a zero row for Row 2, which shows that row 2 and row 3 are linearly dependent. However, my question arises here. I know that a zero row and linear dependence of these two equations means that there is either 0 solutions or infinitely many solutions. Since they are linearly dependent, there is not one unique solution. However, How can I tell whether there is 0 solutions or infinitely many?

Have you carried through the row-reduction procedure, as the question asked you to do? Doing that, or some equivalent thing, is necessary if you want a final answer.

Yes, I continued a bit. Here is what I have done and what I think so far: I have simplified the matrix down to:

Row 1: -1 1 -1 4
Row 2: 0 0 0 0
Row 3: 0 0 2 14

Once I do this, it tells me in the bottom equation that z=7. However, I'm not too sure how to tell anything about how many solutions there are, besides the fact that there is NOT just one.

Yosty22 said:
Yes, I continued a bit. Here is what I have done and what I think so far: I have simplified the matrix down to:

Row 1: -1 1 -1 4
Row 2: 0 0 0 0
Row 3: 0 0 2 14

Once I do this, it tells me in the bottom equation that z=7. However, I'm not too sure how to tell anything about how many solutions there are, besides the fact that there is NOT just one.

OK, so now what is y? What is x?

So for row 3, x = 0, y = 0, z = 7, but for row 1 you have -x+y-z=4, so I'm a little stuck as what to do next.

No. For R3
0x+0y+2z=14

Yosty22 said:
So for row 3, x = 0, y = 0, z = 7, but for row 1 you have -x+y-z=4, so I'm a little stuck as what to do next.
Row 3 reduced to 2z= 14 which tells you that z= 7 but says nothing about what x and y are! Knowing that z= 7, -x+ y- z= 4 becomes -x+ y= 7+4= 11 or y= x+ 11.

Related to How Can I Determine the Number of Solutions in a Dependent System?

1. What is matrix row reduction?

Matrix row reduction is a process used to solve systems of linear equations by transforming a matrix into its reduced row echelon form. This form makes it easier to identify the solutions to the system of equations.

2. Why is matrix row reduction important?

Matrix row reduction is important because it simplifies the process of solving linear equations and allows us to find the solutions to systems of equations more efficiently. It also provides insight into the relationships between different variables in a system.

3. How do you perform matrix row reduction?

To perform matrix row reduction, you must use elementary row operations (such as swapping rows, multiplying a row by a constant, or adding a multiple of one row to another) to transform the matrix into its reduced row echelon form. This process is also known as Gaussian elimination.

4. What are the benefits of using matrix row reduction?

Using matrix row reduction allows us to easily solve systems of linear equations, which are commonly used in many fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. It also helps us to understand the structure of a system and how different variables are related to each other.

5. Are there any limitations to matrix row reduction?

While matrix row reduction is a powerful tool for solving systems of linear equations, it does have its limitations. It can only be used for linear equations, and it may become more complex and time-consuming for larger matrices. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find a unique solution using matrix row reduction.