Max Distance to Detect EM Wave: Find r w/ 0.0050 V Induced EMF

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum distance from a radio transmission tower at which a radio receiver can detect the transmitted wave, given a minimum induced emf requirement. This can be solved using Faraday's Law and considering the variables of distance, B field, and direction of the field.
stanli121

Homework Statement

A radio transmission tower radiates electromagnetic waves uniformly in all directions
with an average total power Pav = 70, 000 W at a frequency f = 98 MHz. A radio
receiver uses the induced emf in a single circular wire loop of radius r = 5.0 cm to
detect a radio signal.
If the maximum induced emf must exceed 0.0050 V to be detectable, find the maximum
distance d the receiver can be from the transmission tower and detect the wave.
(The distance d is much greater than the wavelength  of the wave.)

Homework Equations

S = EB/uo
I = P/4(pi)r^2
I = E(rms)^2/c*uo
E or B are functions given by E(x,t)=Esin(kx-wt) or B(x,t)=Bsin(kx-wt)
c=f(wavelength) and k = 2(pi)/(wavelength)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the end and went for V = -dflux/dt. I found the flux of the B field through the loop and then differentiated B(x,t) wrt time. I have an expression for this but I'm not sure what the B coefficient in the B(x,t) equation (max value of B) should be or what to do about the cos(kx - wt) term. Any help on where to go for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your approach to this problem. It seems like you are on the right track by using Faraday's Law to calculate the induced emf in the loop. However, there are a few things to consider in your solution.

Firstly, the B coefficient in the equation for B(x,t) will depend on the distance d from the transmission tower. As the distance increases, the B field will decrease, and therefore the B coefficient will also decrease. You will need to take this into account in your calculation.

Secondly, the cos(kx-wt) term represents the direction of the B field. This term will not affect the magnitude of the induced emf, but it will affect its direction. Therefore, you can ignore this term when calculating the maximum induced emf.

Finally, once you have an expression for the induced emf, you can use the fact that it must exceed 0.0050 V to find the maximum distance d. This will involve solving for d in terms of the other variables in the equation.

I hope this helps guide you towards a solution. Good luck!

What is the purpose of finding the maximum distance to detect an EM wave?

The purpose of finding the maximum distance to detect an EM wave is to determine the range at which an EM wave can be detected and its effects can be measured. This information is crucial for various applications, such as telecommunications, remote sensing, and radar systems.

What is the significance of a 0.0050 V induced EMF?

A 0.0050 V induced EMF refers to the amount of voltage induced in a conductor by an EM wave. This value is important because it helps to determine the strength of the EM wave and its potential impact on electronic devices.

How is r calculated in this scenario?

In this scenario, r is the distance from the source of the EM wave to the point where the induced EMF is measured. It can be calculated using the equation r = (V_max/E_max)^2, where V_max is the maximum voltage induced and E_max is the maximum electric field strength of the EM wave.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated maximum distance?

The accuracy of the calculated maximum distance can be affected by various factors, such as the type and strength of the EM wave, the environment in which it is being measured, and any obstacles or interference present.

How can this information be useful in real-world applications?

The information about the maximum distance to detect an EM wave can be useful in real-world applications in several ways. It can help in designing and optimizing communication systems, determining the coverage area of radar systems, and assessing the potential hazards of EM waves on human health and electronic devices.