Max Out Crysis 2 on a Monster Gaming PC: Hardware Specs and Performance

• Thread starter FishmanGeertz
  • Start date
In summary: However, don't expect miracles.In summary, the conversation discusses the hardware specifications for running Crysis 2, with one person boasting about their expensive gaming PC while another person enjoys the game on a lower-end laptop. The discussion also mentions how Crysis 2 will run smoother and look better than the first game, thanks to better optimization and smaller environments. There is also a brief mention of DX10 and DX11 and how they can affect performance. Overall, it is suggested to wait for the game's release to see the exact requirements for running it on the best settings.
FishmanGeertz
I have a monster gaming PC and I was wondering how it will run Crysis 2. I can run the first Crysis on the all "very high" preset, as well as with 1920x1080 resolution and get 30-50 fps. My hardware includes the following.

*Core i7 930 @ stock speeds (I can't access my BIOS for some reason)
*MSI Big Bang X-Power X58 motherboard
*6GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM
*X2 ATI Radeon HD 5870's in CrossfireX (1GB each)
*Corsair TX850 850W power supply
*Creative X-Fi Fatality Titanium Pro sound card
*2TB Hitachi 7200RPM HDD
*DVD-ROM
*Coolermaster HAF 932 full tower case
*2.1 logitech speaker system (I have a 5.1 system but there isn't enough room on my desk)
*ZALMAN CNPS9900 CPU cooler
*Windows 7 HP 64-bit
*28" 1080p Viewsonic monitor

I've heard that Crysis 2 is supposed to run smoother than the first Crysis, and will be less stressing on hardware. Crysis 2 is being ported to the consoles (PS3, XBOX 360) as well. The reason the first Crysis never came out for the consoles is because the hardware had trouble running it.

Can I max out Crysis and Crysis Warhead with a playable framerate with the exception of anti-aliasing. Do you think I could do the same for Crysis 2?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Oh I don't know, man.

I have an i7 995X OCed to 4 GHz, 16GB of the fastest RAM I could find, two heavily OCed Radeon 5970s in Crossfire, all cooled with phase-change and/or water cooling, with RAIDed SSDs for programs and twin WD Raptors for storage.

I'm looking forward to Crysis 2, even though I may have to do it on 640x480 with all the details turned off.

//////////

I actually have an okay laptop and enjoy the Crysis 2 demo at 1280x720 and Medium settings at a healthy 30 fps, with simply the finest graphics I've ever seen in a video game. Stop showing off that you have more money than sense and can't enjoy the odd game unless it's roaring along at a bajillion fps, boasting thus to strangers on the Internet.

AlrightChaps? said:
Oh I don't know, man.

I have an i7 995X OCed to 4 GHz, 16GB of the fastest RAM I could find, two heavily OCed Radeon 5970s in Crossfire, all cooled with phase-change and/or water cooling, with RAIDed SSDs for programs and twin WD Raptors for storage.

I'm looking forward to Crysis 2, even though I may have to do it on 640x480 with all the details turned off.

//////////

I actually have an okay laptop and enjoy the Crysis 2 demo at 1280x720 and Medium settings at a healthy 30 fps, with simply the finest graphics I've ever seen in a video game. Stop showing off that you have more money than sense and can't enjoy the odd game unless it's roaring along at a bajillion fps, boasting thus to strangers on the Internet.

Considering that Crysis 1 looks graphically better than Crysis 2, I don't understand how I can get better framerates on the first game than I can on the sequel.

The Crysis 2 demo only runs on DX9. It does not utilize multi-GPU setups, meaning that the actual game will probably run 50-70% faster because of crossfire.

What is this? A compare who has the biggest ba... I mean best hardware thread?

FishmanGeertz, given the game isn't out yet how is anyone supposed to know what requirements it has for the best settings to be used? The only way to know this is to get it from the manufacturers - if they've published it. If not, until it is released no one can give you the answer.

FishmanGeertz said:
The Crysis 2 demo only runs on DX9.

Oh dear. You just ruined my enjoyment of the game. I only played it in the belief that it was a DX11 showcase. Not because, you know, it has reasonably well-balanced, agile and fast-paced gameplay.

Considering you've dropped several thousand dollars on a gaming PC, you're probably not the type to be bankrupted by just buying Crysis 2 and seeing for yourself.

PS In a serious response, regardless of DX version, Crysis 2 runs smoother and looks better than the first one on my laptop, probably due to fundamentally better optimisation. This will only improve as the full game is released and patched throughout its lifetime. The environments in Crysis 2 are admittedly smaller too, though, but even in Crysis's restricted levels it's not as smooth as No.2.

AlrightChaps? said:
Oh dear. You just ruined my enjoyment of the game. I only played it in the belief that it was a DX11 showcase. Not because, you know, it has reasonably well-balanced, agile and fast-paced gameplay.

Considering you've dropped several thousand dollars on a gaming PC, you're probably not the type to be bankrupted by just buying Crysis 2 and seeing for yourself.

PS In a serious response, regardless of DX version, Crysis 2 runs smoother and looks better than the first one on my laptop, probably due to fundamentally better optimisation. This will only improve as the full game is released and patched throughout its lifetime. The environments in Crysis 2 are admittedly smaller too, though, but even in Crysis's restricted levels it's not as smooth as No.2.

I believe Crysis 2 does have DX10 and DX11. DX11 combined with tesselation will murder your framerate. Metro 2033 has shown us that tessleation combined with high resolutions will bring your framerate to almost nothing. The only GPU which is efficient at tesselation is the Nvidia "Fermi" cards.

DX10 might improve performance compared to the DX9 demo, because of better optimizations and use of CPU and GPU multi-threading.

What are the minimum hardware specs required to max out Crysis 2 on a monster gaming PC?

The minimum hardware specs required to max out Crysis 2 on a monster gaming PC are typically an Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and a high-end graphics card such as the NVIDIA RTX 3080 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT.

Do I need a certain type of monitor to fully experience Crysis 2 on a monster gaming PC?

While any monitor can display the game, to fully experience Crysis 2 on a monster gaming PC, it is recommended to have a high-resolution monitor with a high refresh rate, such as a 4K monitor with a refresh rate of 144Hz.

What settings should I use to achieve the best performance while maxing out Crysis 2 on a monster gaming PC?

To achieve the best performance while maxing out Crysis 2 on a monster gaming PC, it is recommended to use the highest graphics settings available, but also adjust settings such as anti-aliasing and shadows to balance performance and visual quality.

Can I still max out Crysis 2 on a monster gaming PC if I have an older processor or less RAM?

It is possible to still max out Crysis 2 on a monster gaming PC with an older processor or less RAM, but you may experience lower performance and may need to adjust the graphics settings to achieve optimal performance.

How does Crysis 2 perform on a monster gaming PC compared to other games?

Crysis 2 is known for its high graphics demands, and as such, it may not perform as well as other games on a monster gaming PC. However, with the right hardware and settings, it can still be fully maxed out and provide an immersive gaming experience.