Maximising sensitivity in a voltage divider

In summary, the conversation discusses a voltage divider with input voltage V_i and two resistors R_1 and R_2 in series, with the output voltage V_o measured over R_2. The goal is to find the algebraic proof for maximizing the sensitivity, or range of V_o, with a constant V_i and given range of resistances on R_2. The conversation also discusses the benefits of having R1 = R2 and calculates the power transferred to R2 in terms of the ratio of R2:R1. In the end, it is concluded that the sensitivity is maximized when R2 is equal to half of the range in resistance.
iainfs
Hi folks,

Homework Statement

We have a voltage divider (more specifically, a resistive divider), with [tex]V_i[/tex] volts input and resistors [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]R_2[/tex] in series. The output voltage, [tex]V_o[/tex], is measured over [tex]R_2[/tex]. [tex]R_1[/tex] is a fixed ohmic resistor; [tex]R_2[/tex] is a potentiometer. I'm looking for an algebraic proof that, for a constant [tex]V_i[/tex] and given range of resistances on [tex]R_2[/tex], the sensitivity (range of [tex]V_o[/tex]) is maximised when the middle range of [tex]R_2 = R_1[/tex].

I have read this in a textbook but have yet to be satisfied by a proof!

Homework Equations

Well, I suppose we have [tex]V = IR[/tex] and [tex]V_o = \frac{V_i \cdot R_2}{R_1+R_2}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I've guess that this requires calculus, which I should be OK with as long as we don't get into anything too complicated. I'm not entirely sure how to approach this, but I'll give it a shot anyway!

As far as I can see, I want to maximise the rate of change of [tex]V_o[/tex] with respect to [tex]R_2[/tex].

[tex]\frac{dR_2}{dV_o}\;({\frac{V_i \cdot R_2}{R_1+R_2}})[/tex]

I can't differentiate that because I don't know how. The constant seems to be all wrapped up with the variable. Some help here would be appreciated.

I would then go on to maximise this by finding [tex]\frac{d^2V_o}{d{R_2}^2}\;({\frac{V_i \cdot R_2}{R_1+R_2}}) = 0[/tex]; hopefully solving the problem.

As you can see, I think I have a viable method, but I'm not able to follow it through. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
the sensitivity (range of ) is maximised

I think you need to define what you mean by the "sensitivity (range of)" means. You get the max range when the R2 potentiometer is much larger than R1, so that the output voltage ranges from almost Vin to zero.

You would get some power transfer benefits if you size R2 = R1, but so far I don't see that entering into the question...

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that would make sense. I think I have been misled as to the benefits of R1 = R2. For pure sensitivity (volts/ohm), a very large pot is best.

What, then, are the benefits of R1 = R2?

Many thanks.

iainfs said:
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that would make sense. I think I have been misled as to the benefits of R1 = R2. For pure sensitivity (volts/ohm), a very large pot is best.

What, then, are the benefits of R1 = R2?

Many thanks.

Calculate the power transferred to R2 in terms of the ratio of R2:R1. Do you see anything useful?

I'm sorry, I'm struggling with that one. Do you mean power as would be given by P = I^2 x R?

Another possible point of confusion I have noticed is that a common type of potential divider has R1 + R2 = constant = the total resistance on the potentiometer. Mine uses a fixed resistor for R1; R2 is a variable resistor.

I had another attempt. Still no joy unfortunately.

[tex]I = \frac{V_i}{R_1+R_2}[/tex]

[tex]I^2 = \frac{V_i^2}{(R_1+R_2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]P_{R_2} = I^2R = \frac{V_i^2 \cdot R_2}{(R_1+R_2)^2}[/tex]

Alternatively, using P = VI:
[tex]I = \frac{V_i}{R_1+R_2}[/tex]

[tex]V_o = \frac{V_i \cdot R_2}{R_1+R_2}[/tex]

[tex]P = V_oI = \frac{V_i^2 \cdot R_2}{(R_1+R_2)^2}[/tex]

which gives the same. I can't seem to get it in terms of a ratio R1:R2. Assistance would be appreciated because it's driving me nuts!

This is a strange problem, and I wonder when you would ever encounter it in practice. Anyway ...

Let's call the range in in pot resistance as [itex]\Delta{}R_2[/itex]. And, let's call the middle of this range simply [itex]R_2[/itex]. So, the range in the output voltage, as a function of the middle of the pot range, is

[tex]
\Delta{}V_o\left(R_2\right)
=
V_o^{hi}-V_o^{lo}
=
V_i\frac{R_2+\frac{1}{2}\Delta{}R_2}{R_1+R_2+\frac{1}{2}\Delta{}R_2}
-
V_i\frac{R_2-\frac{1}{2}\Delta{}R_2}{R_1+R_2-\frac{1}{2}\Delta{}R_2}
=
V_i\frac{R_1\Delta{}R_2}{\left(R_1+R_2\right)^2-\frac{1}{4}\Delta{}R_2^2}
[/tex]

We are looking for the maximum [itex]\Delta{}V_o[/itex] w.r.t. [itex]R_2[/itex]. This looks like a resonance bump with a resonance at [itex]R_2=-R_1[/itex]. I will check my work again.

UPDATE: Ah. It is not in the shape of a resonance bump, at least not w.r.t. [itex]R_2[/itex].

I conclude that [itex]\Delta{}V_o[/itex] is maximized w.r.t. [itex]R_2[/itex], for given [itex]\Delta{}R_2[/itex], [itex]R_1[/itex], and [itex]V_i[/itex], when [itex]R_2=\frac{1}{2}\Delta{}R_2[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Maximising sensitivity in a voltage divider

1. How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider is a circuit that divides a voltage into smaller parts using a series of resistors. The output voltage is determined by the ratio of the resistors, with the larger resistor producing a larger output voltage.

2. What is sensitivity in a voltage divider?

Sensitivity in a voltage divider refers to the change in output voltage for a given change in input voltage. In other words, it is a measure of how much the output voltage changes as the input voltage is varied.

3. How can sensitivity be maximised in a voltage divider?

To maximise sensitivity in a voltage divider, the ratio of the resistors should be as close to 1:1 as possible. This means using resistors with similar values. Additionally, using higher precision resistors and reducing the effects of external noise can also help to increase sensitivity.

4. What factors can affect sensitivity in a voltage divider?

The sensitivity of a voltage divider can be affected by many factors, including the value of the resistors used, the precision of the resistors, external noise and interference, and the overall design and layout of the circuit.

5. What is the significance of maximising sensitivity in a voltage divider?

Maximising sensitivity in a voltage divider is important because it allows for more accurate and precise voltage measurements. This is particularly useful in sensitive electronic devices and systems, where small changes in voltage can have a significant impact on performance.