Maximum deflection / slope of beam

In summary, the equation for slope at x=2 is EI(dy/dx) = -P(x^2)/2 = EI(dy/dx) = -10(2^2)/2 = -40/EIBump
fonseh

Homework Statement

As in the diagram

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a ) , my ans is EI(d2y/dx2) = - Px

For part b) , my ans is EI(dy/dx) = -P(x^2)/2 +c1 EIy = -P(x^3)/6 +c1x +c2

at x= 0 , y = 0 , so c2 = 0 , at x = 0 , dy/dx = 0 , so c1 = 0 ,

so , EIy = -P(x^3)/6 , so , EIy max occur at L=3 , so EIy max = -10(3^3) / 6 = -45 , but the ans is EIy max =-46.67 , which part of my working is wrong ??

for slope at x = 2 , my ans is EI(dy/dx) = -P(x^2)/2 = EI(dy/dx) = -10(2^2)/2 = -40/EI

Attachments

• 440.PNG
    440.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump

fonseh said:

Homework Statement

As in the diagram

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a ) , my ans is EI(d2y/dx2) = - Px
This is the moment
For part b) , my ans is EI(dy/dx) = -P(x^2)/2 +c1 EIy = -P(x^3)/6 +c1x +c2

at x= 0 , y = 0 , so c2 = 0 , at x = 0 , dy/dx = 0 , so c1 = 0 ,

so , EIy = -P(x^3)/6 , so , EIy max occur at L=3 , so EIy max = -10(3^3) / 6 = -45 , but the ans is EIy max =-46.67 , which part of my working is wrong ??

for slope at x = 2 , my ans is EI(dy/dx) = -P(x^2)/2 = EI(dy/dx) = -10(2^2)/2 = -40/EI
you are not reading the question correctly for one thing. But also, x is zero at the free end of the cantilever, such that y is not zero and the slope is not zero when x=0. They are zero when x = ?.

PhanthomJay said:
This is the moment
is there anything wrong with my moment ? In this question , i am taking the right end as x =0 ,
PhanthomJay said:
But also, x is zero at the free end of the cantilever, such that y is not zero and the slope is not zero when x=0. They are zero when x = ?.
they are zero when x =L

EI(d2y/dx2) = - Px

EI(dy/dx) = -P(x^2)/2 +c1 , EIy = -P(x^3)/6 +c1x +c2

at x = L , dy/dx = 0 , so c1 = P(L^2)/2 ,
at x= L , y=0 , c2 = (-1/3)(P)(L^3) ,

at 2m from A = 1m from B
So , EIy = -10(1^3)/3 +10(1^2)/2 -(1/3)(10)(3^3) = -86.67

Here's after making correction , but i still didnt get the ans though

fonseh said:
EI(d2y/dx2) = - Px

EI(dy/dx) = -P(x^2)/2 +c1 , EIy = -P(x^3)/6 +c1x +c2

at x = L , dy/dx = 0 , so c1 = P(L^2)/2 ,
at x= L , y=0 , c2 = (-1/3)(P)(L^3) ,

at 2m from A = 1m from B
So , EIy = -10(1^3)/3 +10(1^2)/2 -(1/3)(10)(3^3) = -86.67

Here's after making correction , but i still didnt get the ans though
Your equations for slope and deflection (part a) look good, but what you have done (I didn't check your math) is to solve for the deflection at 1 m from the free end of the beam when the load is applied at the free end. That is not what the problem is asking in part b, it wants to solve for the deflection at the free end when the load is applied at 1 m from the free end. So you first must calculate the deflection at the load point using x=0 at that point and L = 2 m. Then the 1 m portion of the beam from the free end to the load just goes along for the ride without bending since there is no load on it. The deflection at the free end can then be found by knowing the slope of the curve at the load point.

PhanthomJay said:
Your equations for slope and deflection (part a) look good, but what you have done (I didn't check your math) is to solve for the deflection at 1 m from the free end of the beam when the load is applied at the free end. That is not what the problem is asking in part b, it wants to solve for the deflection at the free end when the load is applied at 1 m from the free end. So you first must calculate the deflection at the load point using x=0 at that point and L = 2 m. Then the 1 m portion of the beam from the free end to the load just goes along for the ride without bending since there is no load on it. The deflection at the free end can then be found by knowing the slope of the curve at the load point.
well , by using x = 0 , L = 2 , i ended up getting EIy = -0-(1/3)(10)(2^3) = -26.67 , which is still not -46.67 , did i miss out anything ?

PhanthomJay said:
Can you show the shape of deflection of graph ? i have no idea

PhanthomJay said:
do you mean find the y by using x = 0 and y = 2 first , then find the area under the graph of dy/dx from x = 0 to x = 1 from the right end ?

fonseh said:
do you mean find the y by using x = 0 and y = 2 first , then find the area under the graph of dy/dx from x = 0 to x = 1 from the right end ?
Best to find the slope (dy/dx) at the point of application of the load at x=0, then since the shape of the curve from that point to the free end is a straight line (no bending in that region), use basic trig to get the additional deflection to the free end.

Likes fonseh
PhanthomJay said:
Best to find the slope (dy/dx) at the point of application of the load at x=0, then since the shape of the curve from that point to the free end is a straight line (no bending in that region), use basic trig to get the additional deflection to the free end.
why can't I just use x = 0 , L = 2 , i ended up getting EIy = -0-(1/3)(10)(2^3) = -26.67 to get the max deflection ?

fonseh said:
why can't I just use x = 0 , L = 2 , i ended up getting EIy = -0-(1/3)(10)(2^3) = -26.67 to get the max deflection ?
that is not the max deflection, that is the deflection at 1 m from the right end. The max deflection occurs at the right end. Solve for the slope of the curve at x= 0 !

Likes fonseh
x=
PhanthomJay said:
that is not the max deflection, that is the deflection at 1 m from the right end. The max deflection occurs at the right end. Solve for the slope of the curve at x= 0 !
x = 0 , L = 2 already means the deflection of the beam at x = 0 when the load is applied at 2m from A, right ?

fonseh said:
x=

x = 0 , L = 2 already means the deflection of the beam at x = 0 when the load is applied at 2m from A, right ?
Remember we have chosen x=0 to be 2 m from the left end. We want the deflection at 3 m from the left end. Again, solve for dy/dx at x=0 using your equation.

is it possible to
PhanthomJay said:
Remember we have chosen x=0 to be 2 m from the left end. We want the deflection at 3 m from the left end. Again, solve for dy/dx at x=0 using your equation.
find EIymax directly at L = 3 using equation of EIymax only ?

PhanthomJay said:
Remember we have chosen x=0 to be 2 m from the left end.
Huh ?? x = 0 is located at the free end...

deflected curve.jpg
fonseh said:
Huh ?? x = 0 is located at the free end...
No, we chose x = 0 at the load point and L = 2 because the last 1 m of the beam is stress free and it does not deflect the same way , it just goes along for the ride with a straight line deflection, not a curved cubic deflection. Please solve for dy/dx at x = 0 and what do you get? See attached.

PhanthomJay said:
View attachment 109695 No, we chose x = 0 at the load point and L = 2 because the last 1 m of the beam is stress free and it does not deflect the same way , it just goes along for the ride with a straight line deflection, not a curved cubic deflection. Please solve for dy/dx at x = 0 and what do you get? See attached.
do you mean if th eload is applied at the stress free end , then , we can detremine the max deflection at the stress free end directly by x = 0 , L= 3 , without involving the dy/dx equation multiply with the length ?

Yes.

1. What is the maximum deflection of a beam?

The maximum deflection of a beam is the greatest distance that the beam will bend from its original position when subjected to a load. This is an important factor to consider in the design and structural integrity of a beam.

2. How is the maximum deflection of a beam calculated?

The maximum deflection of a beam can be calculated using the beam's length, material properties, and the amount and location of applied loads. It can be calculated using various formulas and equations, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation or the double integration method.

3. What is the difference between maximum deflection and maximum slope of a beam?

The maximum deflection of a beam refers to the amount of bending that occurs in the beam, while the maximum slope refers to the angle or slope of the beam at its highest point of deflection. In other words, the maximum slope is the rate of change of the deflection.

4. How does the shape of a beam affect its maximum deflection and slope?

The shape of a beam can greatly affect its maximum deflection and slope. For example, a beam with a larger cross-sectional area will generally have a lower maximum deflection and slope compared to a beam with a smaller cross-sectional area. Additionally, the distribution of load along the beam's length can also impact its maximum deflection and slope.

5. What factors can cause the maximum deflection and slope of a beam to exceed safe limits?

There are several factors that can cause the maximum deflection and slope of a beam to exceed safe limits, such as excessive loads, improper design or construction, inadequate material strength, or structural damage. It is important to carefully consider and account for these factors in order to ensure the safety and stability of the beam.