Maximum of exponential function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value of the function m=n*e^(-nt). It is shown that the maximum occurs at m=1/(t*e^(1)) and the conversation also addresses different methods for proving this without graphing. One member suggests using the product rule and another points out an error in substituting values.
Binder12345

Homework Statement

given the formula m=n*e^(-nt) show that the maximum of this curve is at m=1/(t*e^(1)).

2. The attempt at a solution
I can show this graphically but I am curious if it is possible to do it by hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
So the "t" here is a fixed but unknown constant and n is the parameter we are adjusting, right? We have a function of one variable and are looking for its maximum value.

If a function has has a maximum, what can we say about its first derivative at that maximum?

If we want to prove that it has a maximum without graphing it, are there any theorems that we might be able to invoke?

Likes Binder12345 and Charles Link
If we set it equal to zero and solve that will be our maximum

That all makes sense my issue is how do I get the e^1 in the denominator? because isn't e^(-nt)= 0 a non real answer?

Binder12345 said:
That all makes sense my issue is how do I get the e^1 in the denominator? because isn't e^(-nt)= 0 a non real answer?
You must be differentiating the expression wrt n incorrectly. You need the product rule. If still stuck, please post all your working.

Likes Charles Link
This is strange... transiently there was another post by @Binder12345 (I think) with the right answer, then it disappeared.

haruspex said:
You must be differentiating the expression wrt n incorrectly. You need the product rule. If still stuck, please post all your working.
Sorry was going to edit and accidentally deleted :

I get:
(1-nt)e^(nt)

set equal to 0 and solve:
(1-nt)e^(nt)=0 -> 1-nt=0 -> n=1/t

I'm missing my e^1 in the denominator though

Binder12345 said:
missing my e^1 in the denominator though
Then you are going wrong substituting n=1/t into the original equation.

Likes Binder12345
haruspex said:
Then you are going wrong substituting n=1/t into the original equation.
Yup that is exactly what I was doing wrong! :\

Thank you

1. What is the maximum value of an exponential function?

The maximum value of an exponential function depends on the specific function and its parameters. In general, exponential functions have a maximum value of infinity as the function continues to increase without bound.

2. How do you find the maximum point of an exponential function?

To find the maximum point of an exponential function, you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the input value that makes the derivative equal to zero. This input value will correspond to the maximum point on the function.

3. Can an exponential function have multiple maximum points?

No, an exponential function can only have one maximum point. This is because the function increases without bound and does not have any local minima or maxima.

4. How does the base of an exponential function affect its maximum value?

The base of an exponential function can affect the maximum value by either increasing or decreasing the steepness of the function's growth. A larger base will result in a steeper increase and a smaller base will result in a slower increase. However, the maximum value will still be infinity.

5. Can the maximum value of an exponential function be negative?

No, the maximum value of an exponential function cannot be negative. This is because the function always increases and does not have any local minima or maxima. The minimum value of an exponential function can be negative, but not the maximum value.