Maximum Velocity for collision given acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a driver is traveling at 30.0m/s and suddenly sees a monster 130.0m ahead. The driver takes 0.150s to react and applies the brakes with an average acceleration of 3.50m/s^2. The question asks if the driver will hit the monster and what maximum speed they could travel without hitting it. The equations used in solving this problem include d = Vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2 and Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*d, and it is determined that there are two unknown variables because an unasked-for variable (t) was introduced.
Tearsandrille

Homework Statement

You are driving a car going 30.0m/s; suddenly you see a scary monster 130.0 m ahead. It takes you 0.150s to react before applying the brakes, and the average acceleration during the breaking is 3.50m/s^2.
a. Determine if you hit the monster?

b. What maximum speed could you travel and not hit the monster?

Homework Equations

v = d/t
d = Vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that d1 (my reaction time distance) and d2 (my braking distance) must equal 130.0m.
I tried setting it up this way, but then I have two variables:
130m = Vi*0.150s + Vi*t + 1/2*(-3.50m/s^2)*t^2

It seems everything I try to set up is giving me two unknown variables!

Thanks in advance for help,
TS

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tearsandrille! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Tearsandrille said:
d = Vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*d

It seems everything I try to set up is giving me two unknown variables!

That's because you introduced an unasked-for variable (t) …

try using your other equation! :wink:

Related to Maximum Velocity for collision given acceleration

1. What is maximum velocity for collision?

The maximum velocity for collision is the fastest speed at which two objects can collide without sustaining permanent damage. It is determined by factors such as the mass and acceleration of the objects involved.

2. How is maximum velocity for collision calculated?

The maximum velocity for collision can be calculated using the formula v = √(2ad), where v is the maximum velocity, a is the acceleration, and d is the distance between the objects. This formula assumes that the objects are moving in a straight line towards each other.

3. Can the maximum velocity for collision be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum velocity for collision is a theoretical limit and can be exceeded in real-life scenarios. However, doing so can result in significant damage or destruction of the objects involved.

4. How is the maximum velocity for collision affected by different accelerations?

The maximum velocity for collision is directly proportional to the acceleration. This means that as the acceleration increases, the maximum velocity for collision also increases. However, other factors such as mass and distance between objects also play a role in determining the maximum velocity.

5. Why is it important to know the maximum velocity for collision?

Knowing the maximum velocity for collision is important for ensuring the safety of objects and individuals. It can help engineers design structures and vehicles that can withstand collisions, and it can also inform safety regulations for activities such as sports and transportation.