Maxwell boltzmann distribution

In summary, the conversation is about a geometry problem involving integrating over solid angles and calculating the flux normal to a plane perpendicular to the x-axis. The approach discussed is to use the number of molecules per unit volume and the fraction of molecules with x velocities in a certain interval to determine the total number of molecules per unit area over all velocity intervals. The key to solving this problem is knowing the x velocity distribution function for the MB velocity distribution.
MissP.25_5
The question is in the image file. I am stuck, I don't know how to start. Can someone guide me please?

Attachments

• IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
MissP.25_5 said:
The question is in the image file. I am stuck, I don't know how to start. Can someone guide me please?

As far as I can tell, this is a geometry problem that can be done by appropriately integrating over solid angles. The molecules are traveling with the same average velocities in all directions. Anyway, integrating the over all solid angles for a hemisphere to calculate the flux normal to a plane oriented perpendicular to the x-axis is the way I would approach this problem. But, there may be simpler ways.

Chet

I checked on the internet, and found the correct way of doing this. Let N represent the number of molecules per unit volume and let p(vx)dvx represent the fraction of the molecules with x velocities between vx and vx+dvx. The number of molecules with velocities in this velocity interval per unit area perpendicular to the x-axis per unit time is Nvxp(vx)dvx. The total number of molecules per unit area per unit time over all velocity intervals is the integral of this from vx=0 to vx-->∞. So the key to all this is to know p(vx). Do you know this x velocity distribution function for the MB velocity distribution?

Related to Maxwell boltzmann distribution

1. What is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the speeds and energies of particles in a gas at a certain temperature. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann, who developed the theory of kinetic theory of gases.

2. What does the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution show?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution shows the distribution of speeds and energies of particles in a gas at a specific temperature. It shows the most probable speed, as well as the average and maximum speeds of the particles in the gas.

3. What factors affect the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is affected by temperature, mass of the particles, and the type of gas. As temperature increases, the distribution curve shifts to the right and becomes wider. As particle mass increases, the distribution curve becomes narrower and taller.

4. How is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution used in real life?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is used in many areas of science, such as in thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and atmospheric physics. It is also used in engineering applications, such as in designing rocket engines and gas turbines.

5. What is the significance of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in a gas and how they are affected by temperature. It also provides a basis for many other important concepts, such as the ideal gas law and the concept of entropy.