Simple Fourier transformation calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral ##\hat{p}(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} p(t)e^{-i\omega t}\mathrm{d}t## and its solution when ##\gamma+ i(\omega+\omega_0)\neq 0##. The solution involves the numerator going to ##0## at ##\infty##, assuming that ##\gamma > 0##.
schniefen
Homework Statement
Calculate the Fourier transform of ##p(t)=Ae^{-\gamma t}e^{-i\omega_0t}\Theta(t)##, where ##\Theta(t)## is the step function, i.e. ##1## for ##t\geq 0## and ##0## otherwise, and ##A##, ##\gamma## and ##\omega_0## are unspecified constants. Do not use the "known" formula. The answer given is ##A/(\gamma+i(\omega-\omega_0))##.
Relevant Equations
I guess the "known" formula alludes to the Laplace transform, which the Fourier transform reduces to, i.e. I use the notation ##\hat{p}(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} p(t)e^{-i\omega t}\mathrm{d}t## for the Fourier transform of ##p(t)##.
So,
##\hat{p}(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} p(t)e^{-i\omega t}\mathrm{d}t=A\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-t(\gamma+i(\omega+\omega_0))}=A\left[-\frac{e^{-t(\gamma+i(\omega+\omega_0))}}{\gamma+i(\omega+\omega_0)}\right]_0^\infty,##​
provided ##\gamma+ i(\omega+\omega_0)\neq 0## for the last equality. Now, considering the answer given, why does the numerator go to ##0## at ##\infty##? The minus sign in front of the exponent could also be absorbed by the constants and then one could argue the numerator diverges at ##\infty##, or?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's definitely being assumed that##\gamma > 0## here. This is pretty common - otherwise why would they bother putting the minus sign in the first place?

Likes schniefen

1. What is a Fourier transformation?

A Fourier transformation is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It converts a function of time or space into a function of frequency, allowing for easier analysis and manipulation of the signal.

2. How is a Fourier transformation calculated?

A Fourier transformation is calculated by taking the integral of a function over an infinite range of values. This integral is solved using complex numbers and trigonometric functions, resulting in a representation of the original function in the frequency domain.

3. What is the purpose of a Fourier transformation?

The purpose of a Fourier transformation is to break down a complex signal into its simpler components in the frequency domain. This allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the signal, as well as the ability to filter out unwanted frequencies.

4. What is the difference between a Fourier transformation and an inverse Fourier transformation?

A Fourier transformation converts a function from the time or space domain into the frequency domain, while an inverse Fourier transformation does the opposite - it converts a function from the frequency domain back into the time or space domain.

5. How is a Fourier transformation used in science?

A Fourier transformation is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. It is commonly used to analyze signals and data, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and biological signals. It is also used in image processing and pattern recognition.