Measuring sum of two components of spin angular momentum

If you have two distinct observables, you generally cannot measure both of them simultaneously. In other words, you can't know the exact value of both observables at the same time. This is the basis of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. In summary, the possible results of measuring the sum of the x and z components of the spin angular momentum of a spin-1/2 particle are 0 and the probabilities of obtaining these results depend on the state of the particle. Measuring the eigenvalues of two distinct observables simultaneously is generally not possible. The eigenkets for spin up and spin down are considered the eigenvectors of the spin angular momentum operators.
FarticleFysics

Homework Statement

What are the possible results of the measurement of the sum of the x and z components of the spin angular momentum of a spin-1/2 particle?

Sx = Spin angular momentum operator x
Sz = Spin angular momentum operator x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by applying the spin-up eigenket to the sum of the spin angular momentum operators.

(Sx + Sz) | up > = Sx | up > + Sz | up > = -1/2h_bar + 1/2h_bar = 0

The text I'm using proves that Sx | up > = 1/2h_bar | down >
and like wise Sx | down > = 1/2h_bar | up >

Does this mean if you were to probe the particle for spin up in the x direction you would actually see spin down?

then I applied the spin down eigen-ket to pull the possible eigenvalues from the operators.

(Sx + Sz) | down > = Sx | down > + Sz | down > = +1/2h_bar + (-1/2h_bar) = 0

I feel that there is something wrong with how I've gone about calculating this.. I know that Sx and Sz don't commute therefore you cannot measure their eigenvalues simultaneously. Since I get zero did I show this correctly?

Also, the eigenkets for spin up and spin down are considered the eigenvectors, correct?

I am still trying to get the hang of the linear algebra and what everything means so any help would be amazing!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
One problem with your work is that saying, for example, that ##\hat{S}_x \lvert \text{up} \rangle = \frac{\hbar}{2}## doesn't make sense. This is akin to writing
$$\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{\hbar}{2}.$$ The lefthand side is a vector, but the righthand side is a scalar.

Does this mean if you were to probe the particle for spin up in the x direction you would actually see spin down?
No. Rid yourself of the notion that taking a measurement means applying the associated operator to a state.

The result of a measurement is one of the eigenvalues of the associated observable. Given the state of a particle, you can calculate the probability amplitude for a particular result by finding the projection of this state in the direction of the corresponding eigenstate. For example, if you were measuring the spin in the z-direction, you would need to know the eigenvalues of ##\hat{S}_z##, which are ##\pm \hbar/2##, and the corresponding eigenstates, ##\lvert + \rangle## and ##\lvert - \rangle##. If the particle is in state ##\psi##, the probability amplitude for finding the particle in the spin-up state is ##\langle + \vert \psi \rangle##, which is generally a complex number. The probability is given by square of the modulus of the amplitude.

1. What is spin angular momentum?

Spin angular momentum is a fundamental property of subatomic particles that describes their intrinsic rotational motion. It is a quantum mechanical concept that is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete values.

2. How is spin angular momentum measured?

Spin angular momentum is measured using a variety of techniques, such as electron paramagnetic resonance, nuclear magnetic resonance, and atomic force microscopy. These methods involve the interaction of a particle's spin with an external magnetic field, allowing for the measurement of its magnitude and direction.

3. What are the two components of spin angular momentum?

The two components of spin angular momentum are the spin quantum number (s) and the spin magnetic quantum number (m). The spin quantum number describes the magnitude of the spin, while the spin magnetic quantum number describes the orientation of the spin relative to a chosen axis.

4. How do you calculate the sum of two components of spin angular momentum?

The sum of two components of spin angular momentum can be calculated using vector addition. The magnitude of the resultant spin is given by the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual spin components, while the direction is determined by the arctangent of the ratio of the two components.

5. What are some practical applications of measuring the sum of two components of spin angular momentum?

The measurement of the sum of two components of spin angular momentum is crucial in various fields, including quantum physics, molecular biology, and materials science. It is used to study the structure and properties of molecules, atoms, and materials, as well as in the development of technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spintronics.