Measuring uncertainty spec for an oscilloscope?

In summary, an oscilloscope has a horizontal time base and a vertical voltage or current axis. The uncertainty is related only to the signal.
superstrings
I just started learning about oscilloscopes and I am confused on how to calculate the uncertainty. The uncertainty measurement on the device says '1/2 the smallest division'.

I am unsure which 'division' this refers to since there are horizontal scales and vertical scales.
In my experiment I had the vertical scale set to 2 volts per div, so would the uncertainty then be 1 volt?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the scope manufacturer and model number?
Reading the manual comes in handy when seeking answers to such questions.

My bet is you can assume the time base (produced by the oscilloscope, horizontal axis when measuring one channel only) to be sure (or its accuracy will be listed separately in the manual), and the uncertainty is related only to the signal.

This can get more complicated when doing two channel measurements.

superstrings said:
I am unsure which 'division' this refers to since there are horizontal scales and vertical scales.
In my experiment I had the vertical scale set to 2 volts per div, so would the uncertainty then be 1 volt?
Older CRT oscilloscopes were calibrated with approximately one centimetre squares. Each of those was called a division. Those divisions were divided again by 10 to give approx 1 mm sub-divisions.

An error of half a subdivision means ±5% of the setting. So on the 2V/div range, the error is ±0.1 V.

There is usually a calibration signal test point on the CRO. Maybe a square-wave 1kHz, 0.1Vpp. Look at that to identify the calibration used for voltage and time.

Baluncore said:
Older CRT oscilloscopes were calibrated with approximately one centimetre squares. Each of those was called a division. Those divisions were divided again by 10
In think that 5 minor divisions per centimeter is more common now. So that's what I'd guess the specification the OP is referring to means (although as pointed out, it would be good to have a link to the manual/datasheet the OP is referring to).

http://www.hobbyprojects.com/oscilloscope_tutorial/images/display_of_oscilloscope.gif
display_of_oscilloscope.gif

Likes dlgoff

1. What is the purpose of measuring uncertainty spec for an oscilloscope?

The purpose of measuring uncertainty spec for an oscilloscope is to determine the range of error or uncertainty in the measurements taken by the oscilloscope. This is important in ensuring the accuracy and reliability of the measurements obtained.

2. How is uncertainty spec measured for an oscilloscope?

Uncertainty spec for an oscilloscope is typically measured by comparing the readings obtained from the oscilloscope to a known reference signal. The difference between the two is then used to calculate the uncertainty of the oscilloscope.

3. What factors can affect the uncertainty spec of an oscilloscope?

The uncertainty spec of an oscilloscope can be affected by various factors such as the quality and calibration of the oscilloscope, the stability of the power supply, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the quality of the test leads used.

4. How can the uncertainty spec of an oscilloscope be minimized?

To minimize the uncertainty spec of an oscilloscope, it is important to regularly calibrate the oscilloscope and use high-quality test leads. It is also important to operate the oscilloscope in a stable environment with controlled temperature and humidity.

5. How does the uncertainty spec of an oscilloscope affect the accuracy of measurements?

The uncertainty spec of an oscilloscope directly affects the accuracy of the measurements obtained. A higher uncertainty spec means there is a greater potential for error in the measurements, while a lower uncertainty spec indicates a higher level of accuracy and reliability.