Mechanics II: Hamiltonian and Lagrangian of a relativistic free particle

In summary: I'm not sure what L=0 means. The value of H is the energy, so if the energy is 0 L=pq(dot). The momentum times the change in canonical position is 0?
tzzzsh

Homework Statement

I am given the Hamiltonian of the relativistic free particle. H(q,p)=sqrt(p^2c^2+m^2c^4) Assume c=1
1: Find Ham-1 and Ham-2 for m=0
2: Show L(q,q(dot))=-msqrt(1-(q(dot))^2/c^2)
3: Consider m=0, what does it mean?

Homework Equations

Ham-1: q(dot)=dH/dp
Ham-2: p(dot)=-dH/dq
L(q,q(dot))=pq(dot)-H(q,p)

The Attempt at a Solution

1: For m=0, c=1, Ham-1=1 and Ham-2=0
2: We need to find p in terms of q and q(dot) to find L. From Ham-1 with m=/=0
q(dot)=p/sqrt(p^2+m^2)-> p=mq(dot)/sqrt(q(dot)^2-1)
Using L(q,q(dot))=pq(dot)-H(q,p) and Ham-1=0 for m=0
L=-sqrt((m^2q(dot)^2)/(q(dot)^2-1)+m^2)=-m*sqrt((q(dot)^2)/(q(dot)^2-1)+1)

We are given that L(q,q(dot)) should be -m*sqrt(1-q(dot)^2/c^2) but with c=1 L=-m*sqrt(1-q(dot)^2)
Am I missing something simple algebraically or did I mess up a step earlier on?

3: I'm not sure what L=0 means. The value of H is the energy, so if the energy is 0 L=pq(dot). The momentum times the change in canonical position is 0?

Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
tzzzsh said:
The attempt at a solution
1: For m=0, c=1, Ham-1=1 and Ham-2=0
Ham-1 and Ham-2 are the equations ##\dot q=\partial H/ \partial p## and ##\dot p=-\partial H/ \partial q##, respectively. I don't understand the meaning of Ham-1=1 and Ham-2=0.

2: We need to find p in terms of q and q(dot) to find L. From Ham-1 with m=/=0
q(dot)=p/sqrt(p^2+m^2)
OK
-> p=mq(dot)/sqrt(q(dot)^2-1)
Note that you are taking the square root of a negative number. Check your derivation.
Using L(q,q(dot))=pq(dot)-H(q,p) and Ham-1=0 for m=0
L=-sqrt((m^2q(dot)^2)/(q(dot)^2-1)+m^2)=-m*sqrt((q(dot)^2)/(q(dot)^2-1)+1)
Again, the expression Ham-1 = 0 doesn't make sense to me.

Can the OP rewrite this in LaTex code?

1. What is the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian of a relativistic free particle?

The Hamiltonian and Lagrangian of a relativistic free particle are mathematical formulations used to describe the dynamics of a particle moving at high speeds in a relativistic framework. The Hamiltonian is the total energy of the particle, taking into account its kinetic and potential energy. The Lagrangian is a function that determines the equations of motion for the particle based on its position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations?

The main difference between the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations is the way they approach the dynamics of a system. The Lagrangian formulation uses the principle of least action, where the path that a particle takes is determined by minimizing the action (a mathematical quantity related to the energy). The Hamiltonian formulation, on the other hand, is based on the conservation of energy and uses the Hamiltonian as a function to describe the dynamics of the system.

3. How do the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations apply to a relativistic free particle?

Both the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations can be applied to a relativistic free particle by incorporating the concepts of special relativity. This includes considering the time and space coordinates as well as the particle's momentum and energy in a relativistic framework. The resulting equations can then be used to describe the motion of the particle at high speeds.

4. What are the advantages of using the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations for a relativistic free particle?

One advantage of using the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations for a relativistic free particle is that they provide a more elegant and general description of the dynamics of the system compared to classical mechanics. They also allow for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and symmetries of the system. Additionally, these formulations can be extended to more complex physical systems, making them useful in various fields of physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations for a relativistic free particle?

While the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formulations provide a powerful framework for describing the dynamics of a relativistic free particle, they do have limitations. For example, they do not take into account quantum effects or interactions with other particles. Therefore, they are not applicable in all physical scenarios and must be combined with other theories, such as quantum mechanics, to provide a more complete description of the system.