Mechanics: Manual Drill Eccentricity

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of manually drilling a hole and the importance of keeping the drill perpendicular to the surface. It also addresses finding the other axial components of the force applied at C and the equivalent force and moment couple at A. The attempt at a solution involves determining the moments of B and C about point A, assuming only the x-component of the moments should be non-zero, and discussing the possibility of the moment couple at A being zero.
JohanM

Homework Statement

In order to manually drill a hole, as shown below, it is important to keep the drill perpendicular to the surface. The drill is spun by a 30-lbf force applied downward at the handle at B, while pressure on the bit at A is obtained by applying a 10-lbf force along the x-axis at C. The handle currently lies along the x-z plane and the wall does not supply a reaction moment at A.

a) Find the other axial components of the force applied at C that are required to keep the bit at A oriented solely along the x-axis.
b) Find the equivalent force and moment couple at A that results from the applied forces at B and C.
2m34369.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{M}=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach was to determine the moments of B and C about point A first.

[itex]\vec{M}^{F_{B}}_{A}=\left\langle 8,0,-6 \right\rangle \times \left\langle 0,-30,0 \right\rangle [/itex]
[itex]=\left\langle -180,0,-240 \right\rangle [/itex]

[itex]\vec{M}^{F_{C}}_{A}=\left\langle 16,0,0 \right\rangle \times \left\langle -10,C_{y}, C_{z} \right\rangle [/itex]
[itex]=\left\langle 0, -16C_{z}, 16C_{y} \right\rangle [/itex]

I then assumed that only the x-component of the moments about A should be non-zero, and said that Cz=0 and 16Cy=240, yielding Cy=15 lb.

However, when I calculate the resultant force and the moment couple at A, the moment couple equals zero:

[itex]F_{R}=(-10)\hat{i} + (-30+15)\hat{j} + 0\hat{k}[/itex]
[itex]\theta=tan^{-1}(\frac{15}{10})=56.3^{\circ}[/itex]

[itex]M_{A}=(10)(0)+(-15 lb)(16 in)+(30 lb)(8 in)[/itex]
[itex]=0[/itex]

Clearly, the moment couple at point A is not zero, so my approach is wrong...
What should I change?

Thanks in advance,
Johan

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't the moment couple at point A be zero? If it were not zero wouldn't the drill not stay on axis? Sorry if this is an obvious question.

What is the purpose of a manual drill?

A manual drill is a tool used for drilling holes in various materials such as wood, metal, or plastic. It is often used for tasks that require precision and control, as it allows the user to manually adjust the speed and direction of the drill.

What is eccentricity in mechanics?

In mechanics, eccentricity refers to the distance between the center of rotation and the center of mass of a rotating object. It is a measure of how far off the object's mass is distributed from its axis of rotation.

How does the eccentricity of a manual drill affect its performance?

The eccentricity of a manual drill can affect its performance in multiple ways. A higher eccentricity can cause the drill to wobble, resulting in less precise holes. It can also put more strain on the drill, causing it to wear out faster. Therefore, it is important to choose a manual drill with a low eccentricity for better performance and durability.

Can the eccentricity of a manual drill be adjusted?

Generally, the eccentricity of a manual drill cannot be adjusted. It is determined by the design and construction of the drill. However, some drills may have features that allow for slight adjustments to the eccentricity, such as changing the chuck or adjusting the handle position.

Are there any safety concerns related to eccentricity in manual drills?

Yes, the eccentricity of a manual drill can pose a safety risk if it is too high. A wobbling drill can cause the bit to slip or break, potentially causing injury to the user. It is important to always check and maintain the eccentricity of a manual drill to ensure safe and efficient use.