Mechanics (Non-inertial systems and Fictitious Forces)

In summary, a man standing on a sled slides down a slope with inclination α and uses a spring balance to weigh an object with mass m. The balance indicates the weight of the object, which has the same acceleration as the sled in the same direction. Air resistance is not considered in this scenario.
Physicstcd14
Member warned about posting with no effort

Homework Statement

A sled slides from a slope with inclination α. A man standing on the sled ‘weighs’ an object with mass m using a spring balance. What weight does the balance indicate?

I seem to be making it too complex, could anyone help me out with it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicstcd14 said:

Homework Statement

A sled slides from a slope with inclination α. A man standing on the sled ‘weighs’ an object with mass m using a spring balance. What weight does the balance indicate?

I seem to be making it too complex, could anyone help me out with it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The object has an acceleration which is the same as the sled's (and the same direction). I suspect we are not counting air resistance.

Svein said:
The object has an acceleration which is the same as the sled's (and the same direction). I suspect we are not counting air resistance.
Yes that's correct I'm not counting air resistance!

Related to Mechanics (Non-inertial systems and Fictitious Forces)

1. What is a non-inertial system in mechanics?

A non-inertial system is a frame of reference in which Newton's laws of motion do not hold true. This means that objects in this system do not move at a constant velocity in the absence of external forces.

2. What are some examples of non-inertial systems?

Some common examples of non-inertial systems include accelerating cars, rotating platforms, and elevators. These systems experience fictitious forces, such as centrifugal force, which do not actually exist but are apparent due to the acceleration of the frame of reference.

3. What are fictitious forces in mechanics?

Fictitious forces are apparent forces that arise in non-inertial systems due to the acceleration of the frame of reference. These forces are not real and only exist because of the chosen reference frame.

4. How are fictitious forces different from real forces?

Fictitious forces are different from real forces in that they do not arise from interactions between objects. They are only present due to the acceleration of the reference frame. Real forces, on the other hand, are caused by interactions between objects, such as gravity or friction.

5. How are non-inertial systems important in understanding motion?

Non-inertial systems are important in understanding motion because they allow us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in accelerated frames of reference. By taking into account fictitious forces, we can accurately describe the motion of objects in these systems, which is crucial in many real-world scenarios.