Mechanics of machine force analysis with analytical method

In summary, the analytical method used in machine force analysis is a mathematical approach that involves using equations and formulas to determine the forces acting on a machine. This method differs from other methods of force analysis in that it relies on mathematical calculations rather than visual representations or computer simulations. The key components of this method include identifying and defining forces, creating free body diagrams, and applying Newton's laws of motion. It can be applied to various types of machines and has several advantages, including its precision, applicability, and acceptance in the engineering field.
Pipsqueakalchemist
So I was looking at this example problem in my textbook and I don’t understand how they got -168.1 degrees. The part I’m confused with is the first part of the 2nd picture, there’s a coma in the inverse tan, I don’t know what that means.

1650400068013.png

1650400091127.png

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To resolve the full circle of slope or vector direction, the arctangent function needs both the dy and the dx components as parameters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atan2

What is the analytical method used in mechanics of machine force analysis?

The analytical method used in mechanics of machine force analysis is a mathematical approach that involves using equations and formulas to analyze and solve problems related to forces and motion in machines.

What are the main steps involved in using the analytical method for force analysis?

The main steps involved in using the analytical method for force analysis include identifying the forces acting on the machine, drawing a free body diagram, applying equations of motion, and solving for the unknown forces or motion parameters.

How does the analytical method differ from other methods of force analysis?

The analytical method differs from other methods of force analysis, such as graphical or experimental methods, in that it relies on mathematical calculations and equations rather than visual representations or physical measurements.

What are some common applications of mechanics of machine force analysis with the analytical method?

Mechanics of machine force analysis with the analytical method is commonly used in the design and analysis of various machines and mechanical systems, such as engines, vehicles, and industrial equipment. It is also used in troubleshooting and determining the causes of mechanical failures.

What are some challenges in using the analytical method for force analysis?

Some challenges in using the analytical method for force analysis include the complexity of the equations and calculations involved, the need for accurate and precise measurements, and the assumption of ideal conditions that may not always reflect real-world scenarios.