Mechanics problem. Please clear my doubts regarding forces.

In summary, the incline has mass M and is fastened to the stationary horizontal tabletop. The block of mass m is placed near the bottom of the incline and is released with a quick push that sets it sliding upward. It stops near the top of the incline, as shown in the flgure, and then slides down again, always without friction. The force that the tabletop exerts on the incline throughout this motion is mg*sin(theta).
tanzl

Homework Statement

In the flgure below, the incline has mass M and is fastened to the stationary horizontal tabletop. The block of mass m is placed near the bottom of the incline and is released with a quick push that sets it sliding upward. It stops near the top of the incline, as shown in the flgure, and then slides down again, always without friction. Find the force that the tabletop exerts on the incline throughout this motion.

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo31/tanzl/PHYS1A_ProbSet2_08-09.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is (M+m)g since the resultant downward force should be the sum of the weight of incline plane and the weight of the mass. But, it looks too simple to be correct.
Please clear my doubts.
1)Although there is a normal force of magnitude mg*cos(theta) that will eventually balance the weight of the mass m since the mass is not moving downward o upward.
2)The initial push on the mass m is not necessary to be considered in the calculation because the force supplied is not constant and so the only force acting on mass m which parallel to the incline is mg*sin(theta).
3)Throughout the motion of mass, only two force were involved. The weight of mass m and the normal force of incline exerted on the mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are neglecting the horizontal component of the normal reaction.
>
1)Although there is a normal force of magnitude mg*cos(theta) that will eventually balance the weight
>
The normal force N is equal to mgCosθ. I don’t quite understand what you mean by saying that it will eventually balance the weight.

The inclined wedge is in equilibrium due to three forces –the reaction R due to the tabletop, its own weight Mg, and the normal reaction N at the point of location of mass m. You know N in terms of m and θ. Draw a free body diagram and give it another try now. Resolve all the forces along the horizontal and vertical directions.

(Hint: R will not be in the vertical direction.)

This is my free body diagram for mass m.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo31/tanzl/freebodydiagram1.jpg
Fnormal = -Fg cos(theta)

This is my free body diagram for incline plane.
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo31/tanzl/freebodydiagram2.jpg
I let Fx and Fy be the resolved vector of Ftable.
Fx=-Fg cos(theta) sin(theta) Fy=W-Fg [cos(theta)]^2
|Ftable^2|=|Fx|^2+|Fy|^2
By solving the equation, it yields

Ftable = g * sqrt {m^2 * [cos(theta)]^2 + M^2 + 2Mm [cos(theta)]^2}

Right. As a check, note that when θ=0, the reaction is simply (m+M)g, as is to be expected.

Thank you so much.

Related to Mechanics problem. Please clear my doubts regarding forces.

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do I calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the individual forces acting on that object. To calculate it, you need to consider the magnitude and direction of each force and use vector addition to find the resultant force.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does friction affect forces?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and it can affect forces in several ways. It can decrease the net force acting on an object, making it harder to move. It can also cause an object to slow down or come to a stop.

5. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a force that is the product of an object's mass and the acceleration due to gravity. It is a measure of the gravitational force pulling on an object. Mass, on the other hand, is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and remains constant regardless of gravity.