Merging Mech. Engineering & Chemistry for work in the Military Sectoror

In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing a double major in Mechanical Engineering and German, but is now considering dropping the German major and picking up a minor in chemistry. They are interested in pursuing a career in designing body armor and protective equipment for the military, and are considering pursuing a PhD in Materials Science. They are also seeking advice on whether the German program is worth it, if minoring in chemistry is a good idea, and if Materials Science is the right field for their interests. They also mention the possibility of working in the military sector, potentially through DARPA grants or joining the military. They are open to any advice and apologize for being long-winded.
Cameltosis
Hi there.

I am currently a freshman Mechanical Engineering major.

I'll try to keep things short. I have a vision for my future; I want to design body armor and personal protective equipment for the military/paramilitary.

This interest has lead me to pursue Mechanical Engineering as a major, but I have always had a fascination and infatuation with chemistry. I've just recently been spending more time with some of my good friends who are chem/biochem majors, and the more they show and explain their work to me, the more interested I become in the field.

I am considering maintaining my major in Mechanical Engineering, and picking up a minor in chemistry. I've been considering Grad school after graduation, and right now I'm considering moving into Materials Science for Grad school. I am looking into Materials Science because of my interest in the use of Ceramics/Ceramic Composite integration into the work I want to do designing defensive equipment.

I am currently established as a double-major: M.E. and German. My plan was initially to pursue a 5-year degree where I spend my fourth year (between junior and "senior" year) in Germany studying German and some engineering. I am strongly considering (seeing as how I start the German major in the coming fall semester) dropping that idea and switching to a chem minor.

If there is any advice that anyone has for me I would greatly appreciate it. This idea is fresh and I'm still giving it due consideration before making any such decision. I possesses the work ethic and mental faculty to complete the work, and so I am not doubting myself in that respect - if that is a legitimate concern that anyone might have for me. (I don't mean to sound arrogant; I have faith in my abilities and I have invaluable friends.)

My main interest points are, I suppose:
1. Is the German program (double-major) worthwhile in comparison to finishing in four years?
2. Is my concept of minoring in chemistry with mechanical engineering worthwhile?
3. Is materials science the right field to be looking into?
4. (Also, if anyone has any uncommon advice for working into the military sector of industry)

Thank you so much for your time and insight. I apologize for being long-winded. I also realize that a lot of this has been rather vague; if there are any questions regarding details please don't hesitate to ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends but what you mean by work in the military sector. If you get a PhD and work in academia, you can apply for DARPA grants (Google DARPA if you don't know what it is). You can try to work directly for DARPA as well. Or you could join the military and try to get into DARPA too. However, if you are in the military, you can't be permanently at DARPA. You can only do rotations there, and I don't remember how long they are.

Chemistry would be good to know since you can look at how polymers are made.

1. How can merging mechanical engineering and chemistry be beneficial for work in the military sector?

Merging mechanical engineering and chemistry can be beneficial for work in the military sector in various ways. For instance, it can lead to the development of advanced military equipment and technologies that are more efficient, durable, and cost-effective. It can also improve the production of chemical agents and explosives, as well as enhance the understanding of materials and their properties for military applications.

2. What specific skills and knowledge from both fields are needed for a successful career in the military sector?

To have a successful career in the military sector, one needs to have a strong foundation in both mechanical engineering and chemistry. This includes knowledge of mechanics, materials science, thermodynamics, and chemical reactions, as well as practical skills in designing, analyzing, and testing various mechanical and chemical systems. Additionally, understanding military protocols and regulations is also crucial.

3. How does the merging of these two fields contribute to national defense and security?

The merging of mechanical engineering and chemistry plays a crucial role in national defense and security. It enables the development of advanced military technologies, such as weapons and defense systems, that can be used to protect the country from potential threats. It also allows for the production of more efficient and reliable military equipment, which is essential for maintaining a strong and effective military force.

4. Are there any ethical considerations to take into account when merging these two fields for military purposes?

Yes, there are ethical considerations to take into account when merging mechanical engineering and chemistry for military purposes. For example, there may be concerns about the potential misuse of advanced military technologies or the development of chemical weapons. Therefore, it is essential for individuals and organizations involved in this field to adhere to ethical principles and regulations to ensure responsible and safe use of these technologies.

5. What future advancements can we expect in the merging of mechanical engineering and chemistry for military applications?

The merging of mechanical engineering and chemistry for military applications is a rapidly evolving field, and we can expect to see many advancements in the future. Some potential advancements include the development of more advanced and intelligent military equipment, such as drones and robots, and the use of nanotechnology for defense purposes. There may also be advancements in the use of biotechnology and materials science for military applications.