Meridians and Circles of Latitude of a surface of revolution

In summary, the meridians and circles of latitude of a surface of revolution are the t-curves and theta-curves, also known as parameter curves, respectively. This means that you fix either t or theta and observe the image of X.
lus1450

Homework Statement

Find the meridians and circles of latitude of a surface of revolution ##X(t, \theta) = (r(t)cos(\theta), r(t)sin(\theta), z(t))##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly just need a definition of what these concepts are. My book, as an aside for this specific homework problem, just says they are the ##t##-curves and ##\theta##-curves respectively. Does this mean I fix ##\theta## and see what the image of ##X## is, and then vice-versa for ##t##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zaculus said:

Homework Statement

Find the meridians and circles of latitude of a surface of revolution ##X(t, \theta) = (r(t)cos(\theta), r(t)sin(\theta), z(t))##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly just need a definition of what these concepts are. My book, as an aside for this specific homework problem, just says they are the ##t##-curves and ##\theta##-curves respectively. Does this mean I fix ##\theta## and see what the image of ##X## is, and then vice-versa for ##t##?

Yes. Some texts call them parameter curves.

Likes 1 person

1. What are meridians and circles of latitude on a surface of revolution?

Meridians and circles of latitude are imaginary lines used to measure and describe the orientation and location of points on the surface of a revolution. A surface of revolution is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional curve around an axis.

2. How are meridians and circles of latitude related?

A meridian is a semi-circle that runs from the North Pole to the South Pole on a surface of revolution, while a circle of latitude is a full circle that is parallel to the equator. Together, they form a grid system that helps to identify specific points on the surface of a revolution.

3. What is the purpose of using meridians and circles of latitude?

Meridians and circles of latitude are used to measure and describe the location and orientation of points on the surface of a revolution. They are especially useful in navigation and cartography, as they provide a standardized way to identify and locate points on a curved surface.

4. How are meridians and circles of latitude different from longitude and latitude on a globe?

Meridians and circles of latitude on a surface of revolution are similar to longitude and latitude on a globe, but they are adapted to measure points on a curved surface rather than a spherical one. While longitude and latitude on a globe intersect at right angles, meridians and circles of latitude on a surface of revolution intersect at varying angles depending on the shape of the surface.

5. Can meridians and circles of latitude be used on any surface of revolution?

Yes, meridians and circles of latitude can be used on any surface of revolution, as long as it has a consistent axis of rotation. Examples of surfaces of revolution include cylinders, cones, and spheres. However, the spacing and orientation of the meridians and circles of latitude may vary depending on the shape of the surface.