Mesh Analysis: Solving for Middle Loop Currents

In summary, when doing mesh analysis, you should label the currents in each leg only once and use that label for each equation involving that element. You also need to make an assumption about which current is larger, and if your answer is negative, your assumption was incorrect.
madchiller
hello, while doing the mesh analysis what do you substract to what to get the current that is in the middle of two loops what is the rule to get i1 - i2 or i2 - i1 it depends on what ? thanks in advance for the help :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
madchiller said:
hello, while doing the mesh analysis what do you substract to what to get the current that is in the middle of two loops what is the rule to get i1 - i2 or i2 - i1 it depends on what ? thanks in advance for the help :smile:

You call it the same current. Only label the current in each leg once, and keep using that label for each equation that involves that element. Does that make sense?

Either way you do it, you make an assumption to which current is larger. If your answer is negative, your assumption was backwards.

Related to Mesh Analysis: Solving for Middle Loop Currents

1. What is Mesh Analysis and when is it used?

Mesh Analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits. It is used when there are multiple current sources or when the circuit is too complex to be solved using other methods such as Ohm's law.

2. How does Mesh Analysis work?

Mesh Analysis works by creating a system of equations using Kirchoff's voltage law (KVL) for each closed loop in the circuit. These equations are then solved simultaneously to find the unknown currents.

3. What is the difference between Mesh Analysis and Nodal Analysis?

The main difference between Mesh Analysis and Nodal Analysis is the approach used to solve the circuit. Mesh Analysis uses KVL to create equations for each loop, while Nodal Analysis uses Kirchoff's current law (KCL) to create equations for each node in the circuit.

4. What are the steps for solving a circuit using Mesh Analysis?

The steps for solving a circuit using Mesh Analysis are:

1. Identify the number of loops in the circuit.
  2. Assign a current variable for each loop.
  3. Apply KVL to each loop and create a system of equations.
  4. Solve the equations simultaneously to find the unknown currents.
  5. Check the solution by substituting the values back into the equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Mesh Analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Mesh Analysis include:

• Incorrectly identifying the number of loops in the circuit.
  • Not assigning a current variable for each loop.
  • Not applying KVL correctly for each loop.
  • Using incorrect signs for loop currents or voltage drops.
  • Forgetting to include all sources of voltage or current in the equations.
It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check the equations to avoid these mistakes.