Mesh Current Analysis for a Series-Parallel Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving mesh current analysis and the use of KVL and Cramer's rule. The student has found values for I1, I2, and I3 but they are not matching the instructor's answers. Another person suggests checking the signs and explains that the direction of current determines the voltage drop across a resistor. They also provide corrections for the student's equations.
gomezfx

Homework Statement

problem3.jpg

Homework Equations

Not necessarily any equations ,just systematic approaches for mesh current analysis like using KVL
Also used cramer's rule

The Attempt at a Solution

My work:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/aldodesigns/page1.jpg
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/aldodesigns/?action=view&current=page2.jpg

I found I1, I2, and I3 (I think) but they're not right. The answers my instructor gave us were 8A for the 110V source and 10A for the 12V source and I am way off. Did I set up my equations wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take care of your signs. Across a resistor, the current direction is always from the more positive terminal to the more negative one. If you decided the direction of current than you have the voltage drop always in that direction. You do not have the freedom to choose which terminal of a resistor is more positive than the other one, and you do not know it before you solve the problem for the currents.

So your first equations for mesh 1 and 3 are wrong.

In case of mesh 1 you have the current I1 - I2 flowing through the 12 ohm resistor. Going clockwise, the voltage drop is 12(I1-I2). In mesh 3, I3 current flows through the 4 ohm resistor, causing 4 (I3) voltage drop.

ehild

What is mesh current analysis?

Mesh current analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the currents flowing through different branches of a circuit. It involves assigning current values to each individual loop in the circuit and using Kirchhoff's voltage law to solve for the current values.

Why is mesh current analysis used?

Mesh current analysis is used because it is a systematic and efficient way to analyze complex circuits with multiple loops. It also allows for easy application of Kirchhoff's voltage law and simplifies the process of solving for unknown currents.

How is mesh current analysis different from nodal analysis?

Mesh current analysis and nodal analysis are two different methods used to analyze circuits. While mesh current analysis involves assigning currents to loops, nodal analysis involves assigning voltages to nodes in the circuit. Both methods use Kirchhoff's laws to solve for unknown values, but they differ in the way currents and voltages are assigned.

What are the basic steps for performing mesh current analysis?

The basic steps for performing mesh current analysis are: 1) Identify the individual meshes or loops in the circuit, 2) Label each mesh with a unique current variable, 3) Apply Kirchhoff's voltage law to each mesh, 4) Set up and solve a system of equations to determine the current values, and 5) Use Ohm's law to calculate other unknown values such as voltage or resistance.

What are the limitations of mesh current analysis?

Mesh current analysis has some limitations, such as not being able to handle circuits with dependent sources and non-linear elements. It also becomes more complex when there are a large number of meshes in a circuit. In such cases, nodal analysis may be a better method to use.