Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources

In summary: In Loop 2, I1=-6Ix+4I2+2(I2-I3) and Ix=I4-I2.However, in your equations, I1=8A.This is why your results don't match mine.
warden13

Homework Statement

2hp24ue.jpg

Homework Equations

V=I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

I started writing the equations for each loop.

Loop 1 -> I1=8A
Loop 2 -> -6Ix + 4I2 + 2(I2-I3) =0 and Ix=I4-I2
Loop 3 -> I don't know how to approach the dependent current source here.
Loop 4 -> Same here

What I ask is are these equations for loop 1 and 2 is true? If they are not, what's wrong? And how can I write the equations for loop 3 and 4?

Thanks for advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi warden13, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Mesh analysis with current supplies can be a tad tricky at times. If a supply is shared by only one loop then it defines that loop's mesh current and you declare that current "solved". This is what you've done with your loop 1 by setting ##I_1 = 8 A##.

When a current source straddles two loops, as the ##3V_y## source does, you can introduce another loop variable to represent the potential change across that current supply. Use this new unknown in your loop KVL equations. The current value of the supply is then used to write another equation relating the currents of the two loops. In fact, as you write your loop equations you should end up collecting enough of these "auxiliary equations" relating current supplies to mesh currents to be able to reduce the number of unknowns to match the number of loops.

Here's your circuit with loop numbers and mesh currents indicated:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53624&stc=1&d=1354641936.gif

Suppose you call the potential change across the controlled current Vx, assumed to be a potential rise in the direction of the current. Then how might you write your loop 3 equation?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 8,734
If I got what you are saying, then loop 3 equations is:

-10 + 2(I3-I2) + Vx = 0

and loop 4 is:

2(I4-I1) - Vx + 4I4 = 0

correct?

But how do i find the Vx?

Last edited:
warden13 said:
If I got what you are saying, then loop 3 equations is:

-10 + 2(I3-I2) + Vx = 0

and loop 4 is:

2(I4-I1) - Vx + 4I4 = 0

correct?

But how do i find the Vx?

Yes, that looks good. Now, there are relationships imposed by the current sources which relate the mesh currents. You should be able to replace I4 with a combination of other mesh currents. That'll eliminate I4 from your equation set, leaving I2, I3, and Vx as unknowns, and you should have three equations...

I couldn't replace I4, can you tell me how to replace it?

warden13 said:
I couldn't replace I4, can you tell me how to replace it?

Well, there's a small chain of relationships involved.

From loop 2 : ##V_y = 4 I_2##

From loop 4: ##3 V_y = I_4 - I_3##

Go from there.

So i found the following equations:

Code:
eq1=((-6*(((12*i2)+i3)-i2)) + (4*i2) + (2*(i2-i3)));

eq2=((-10) + 2*(i3-i2) + vx );

eq3=((2*((((12*i2)+i3))-(8))) + (-vx) + (4*(((12*i2)+i3))));

When i solve it with matlab, the results are:

solutions_i2 = 13/5

solutions_i3 = -39/2

solutions_vx = 271/5

But the problem is, i am not so sure about the answers. I simulated the circuit it pspice schematics, but found different results. I wonder if these equations are true.

Well, something's gone awry with your equations since your post #3 :smile:

Your results don't match what I found, and they should match a correct simulation, too.

Perhaps you can spell out your workings in more detail.

Edit:
I took a weed-whacker to the forest of parentheses in your expressions and boiled them down to:

1) ##-60i_2 - 8 i_3##
2) ##-10 + 2 i_3 - 2 i_2 + Vx##
3) ##72 i_2 + 6 i_3 - 16 - Vx##

Note that I refer to them as expressions and not as equations; for them to be equations there would have to be an equals sign in there somewhere.

Assuming that each of them should really be set equal to zero, then "equations" 2 and 3 look okay to me, but #1 has a problem with its ##i_2## term.

Last edited:
Ok your expressions and mine are same. But that means I still get different results than I am supposed to get.

For instance, when i simulate the circuit, i find the i2 = 5.5A

But in our equations, 13/5=2.6

Code:
You can solve them here:
[url]http://www.numberempire.com/equationsolver.php[/url]
in this format:

((-6*(((12*i2)+i3)-i2))+(4*i2)+(2*(i2-i3))),((-10)+2*(i3-i2)+vx),((2*((((12*i2)+i3))-(8)))+(-vx)+(4*(((12*i2)+i3))))

and variables:

i2,i3,vx

My simulation:
kdlwf7.jpg

The values of R1
21mhvly.jpg

Sorry for big images,long post.

warden13 said:
Ok your expressions and mine are same. But that means I still get different results than I am supposed to get.

For instance, when i simulate the circuit, i find the i2 = 5.5A

But in our equations, 13/5=2.6

No, not all of our equations are the same. Our first equations (Loop 2) are different.

Related to Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources

1. What is the Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources?

The Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources is a technique used in circuit analysis to determine the currents flowing through each branch of a circuit. It takes into account both independent and dependent sources in the circuit, making it a more comprehensive approach than the basic Mesh Current Method.

2. How does the Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources work?

The Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources works by creating equations for each mesh in the circuit and solving them simultaneously using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). The equations include the currents flowing through each branch and the dependent sources, allowing for a more accurate analysis of the circuit.

3. When should I use the Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources?

The Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources is useful when analyzing circuits with both independent and dependent sources, as it takes into account the effects of these sources on the circuit's behavior. It is also helpful when working with complex circuits that cannot be easily analyzed using other methods.

4. What are the advantages of using the Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources?

Using the Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources allows for a more accurate analysis of circuits with dependent sources, as it takes into account their effects on the circuit. It also simplifies the process of solving complex circuits, as it can be applied to both series and parallel circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to the Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources?

While the Mesh Current Method with Dependent Sources is a useful technique, it is not always the most efficient method for circuit analysis. It can become complicated and time-consuming when applied to circuits with a large number of dependent sources. In these cases, a different method may be more suitable.