Meshing a multi body part as shown below (ANSYS)

In summary, the conversation is about meshing a multibody part in ANSYS. The speaker explains that they have a block that was sliced into two parts and then glued together. They want to mesh the parts with hex elements, but one body has a coarse mesh and the other has a fine mesh. The desired result is for the second body to have an adaptive mesh with elements of 3mm. However, the speaker is having trouble achieving this and is seeking help. The person they are talking to asks for more information about the setup and results, specifically which mesher is being used.
AH515253
I have one block which i sliced into two blocks and glue them to form one part. so now I have multibody part I want to mesh them as it shown below in the image. Both parts have hex mesh but one body has course mesh and other has fine mesh, For body one size of element is 3mm and other body mesh should be adaptive. I tried meshing multibody part in ansys but it is not given me desired result. can somebody help me please.

Attachments

• new1.png
    new1.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 561
Engineering news on Phys.org
So, what is your setup, what is the obtained result, and what is the desired result? Which mesher do you use? ICEM? ANSYS mesher?

1. What is meshing and why is it important?

Meshing is the process of dividing a complex geometry into smaller, simpler elements called meshes. It is an essential step in computer-aided engineering simulations as it allows for the accurate representation of the geometry and physics of a system. A well-meshed model can provide more accurate results and reduce simulation time.

2. How do I mesh a multi body part in ANSYS?

To mesh a multi body part in ANSYS, you can follow these steps: 1. Import the geometry of the multi body part into ANSYS.2. Create a single part by combining all the bodies.3. Create a mesh sizing function to define the desired element size.4. Use the automatic meshing feature or manually define the mesh for each body.5. Check the quality of the mesh and refine if necessary.

3. What are the different types of meshing methods in ANSYS?

ANSYS offers various meshing methods, including: 1. Structured Meshing: This method creates a grid of rectangular or hexagonal elements.2. Unstructured Meshing: This method uses triangular or tetrahedral elements.3. Sweep Meshing: This method is used for creating meshes with prismatic or hexahedral elements.4. Patch Conforming Meshing: This method ensures that the mesh conforms to the geometry of the part.5. MultiZone Meshing: This method creates multiple meshes on different areas of the geometry.

4. What are some best practices for meshing a multi body part?

Some best practices for meshing a multi body part include: 1. Using a combination of different meshing methods to achieve a well-balanced mesh.2. Refining the mesh in areas of high stress or where important physical phenomena are expected to occur.3. Maintaining good element quality by avoiding skewed or highly distorted elements.4. Checking for any mesh overlaps or gaps.5. Verifying the mesh against analytical or experimental results, if available.

5. What are some common challenges in meshing a multi body part?

Some common challenges in meshing a multi body part include: 1. Dealing with complex geometries that require a high number of elements for accurate representation.2. Ensuring a balance between accuracy and computational cost.3. Dealing with sharp corners or fillets that can cause mesh distortions.4. Generating a good quality mesh in regions with high curvature or abrupt changes in geometry.5. Identifying and addressing mesh errors such as element overlaps or tangling.