Mesonic effects in the nuclear structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of explanation of the Yukawa's model in textbooks about nuclear physics. The question is raised about the measurability of the "mesonic effects" in the nucleus, and a specific model (the Serot-Walecka model) is mentioned as a possible answer. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consult the Serot-Walecka book for further information.
ORF
Hello

The textbooks about nuclear physics I have read don't explain too much about the Yukawa's model. For example, the textbook Structure of the Nucleus -by Preston and Bhaduri- finish the Yukawa's model with open questions about the "mesonic effects" by virtual pions.

And my doubt: are the "mesonic effects" in the nucleus measurable? [directly or indirectly]

If this question is already answered in this forum, just tell me, and I will delete this thread.

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings
PS: My mother language is not English, so I'll be glad if you correct any mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you mean by "measurable". For example, there is a particular model of nuclear matter (the Serot-Walecka model) that involves the interaction of the nucleons with [itex]\sigma, \omega^\mu, \rho^\mu[/itex] fields which are mesons. What you can do is to make prediction with this model and then compare them with the data. Turns out that they might fit reasonably well, or at least they describe the qualitatively behavior.
You cound take a look at the Serot-Walecka book "The Relativistic Nuclear Many-Body Problem", maybe you can find an answer to you question.

Hello

Thank you for your answer, I had not never heard about this kind of nuclear models. I'm going to look for that book :)

Greetings.

1. What are mesonic effects in the nuclear structure?

Mesonic effects, also known as meson exchange currents, are a type of interaction between nucleons in the nucleus that involve the exchange of virtual mesons. These mesons, which are subatomic particles, are responsible for the strong nuclear force that holds the nucleus together.

2. How do mesonic effects impact the structure of the nucleus?

Mesonic effects play a crucial role in the structure of the nucleus. They affect the binding energy, spin and parity of nucleons, and the nuclear magnetic moment. These effects also contribute to the overall stability and shape of the nucleus.

3. What experimental evidence supports the existence of mesonic effects in the nuclear structure?

There are several experimental techniques used to study mesonic effects in the nuclear structure, including scattering experiments and electron capture measurements. These experiments have provided evidence for the exchange of virtual mesons between nucleons in the nucleus.

4. Are mesonic effects only present in certain types of nuclei?

No, mesonic effects are present in all types of nuclei. However, they are more significant in heavier nuclei due to the larger number of nucleons and stronger nuclear forces involved.

5. Can mesonic effects be observed outside of the nucleus?

Yes, mesonic effects can also be observed in other nuclear processes, such as nuclear reactions and decays. They also play a role in the interactions between protons and neutrons in nuclear matter, which is the dense environment found in the core of neutron stars and supernovae.