Method of differences for a series

In summary, when using the method of differences on a given series, you stop listing the terms when you reach the n term. To determine the value of r, you need to go through the steps of cancelling terms on both sides of the equation. This can be seen in the example questions provided, where r=n was the value that made both sides equal.
Eveflutter
Member warned that the homework template is required
When using the method of differences on a given series, when do you stop listing the terms?

Example question:
f(r)=
gif.gif
; r∈N
State f(r)-f(r+1) in terms of r and hence determine
gif.gif

So skipping until the worked answer gives
gif.gif

Great so here I included the n+1th term because I'm guessing since the larger number in the given: f(r)-f(r+1) was r+1 so that's why I stop here? I'm not sure.

Okay so that guess works for that one but what about this one:

Example question (2):
Given f(r)= r(r+1)! show that f(r)-f(r-1)= r!(r2 +1) and hence solve
gif.gif

Alright skipping the proof once again and going into the expansion part, I have this thus far:
(3!2 - 2!1) + (4!3 - 3!2) + (5!4 + 4!3) + ... + (here is where I'm not sure what to stop at)

Possibilities:
stopping with the subbing of the nth term ... + ((n-1)n! - (n-1)!(n-2)) + (n(n+1)! - n!(n-1))
or stopping with the subbing of the (n+1)th term ... + ((n+1)!n - n!(n-1)) + ((n+2)(n+1)! - (n+1)!n)

The respective answers I may end up with are:
at nth term: n(n+1)! - 2
at (n+1)th term: (n+1)(n+1)! - 2

Any help will be appreciated ^3^ Thank you~!

Attachments

• gif.gif
    gif.gif
    235 bytes · Views: 709
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    814 bytes · Views: 839
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    361 bytes · Views: 751
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    660 bytes · Views: 737
Physics news on Phys.org
Eveflutter said:
f(r)-f(r-1)= r!(r2 +1)
For the purposes of the summation, the first term you want on the right is with r=2, so that must be the first term to use on the left:
f(2)-f(1).
One of those will cancel with something in the corresponding expression for the second term of the sum. Which one does not cancel?
Similarly for the last term in the sum.

haruspex said:
For the purposes of the summation, the first term you want on the right is with r=2, so that must be the first term to use on the left:
f(2)-f(1).
One of those will cancel with something in the corresponding expression for the second term of the sum. Which one does not cancel?
Similarly for the last term in the sum.
Alright...so I'm not completely following. The f(1) does not cancel at the beginning. But what I'm asking is: If I use either r=n or r=n+1 at the end there will be something different that does not cancel either way. That is the f(n) and the f(n+1) term respectively. Which term to stop at when listing them?

Eveflutter said:
Alright...so I'm not completely following. The f(1) does not cancel at the beginning. But what I'm asking is: If I use either r=n or r=n+1 at the end there will be something different that does not cancel either way. That is the f(n) and the f(n+1) term respectively. Which term to stop at when listing them?
Write out the last term in the sum on the right.
Write out f(r)-f(r+1) (in the first problem you posted).
What value of r makes these equal (up to a constant factor)?

r must be n for both side to be equal...

Eveflutter said:
r must be n for both side to be equal...
Right. And of the f(r) pairs, which is the uncancelled member of the pair at r=n?

n(n+1)! at the end?

Eveflutter said:
n(n+1)! at the end?
Actually I specified the first problem, but no matter.
Yes. The last term in the sum is (n2+1)n!, and this corresponds to f(n)-f(n-1). When you sum the f() terms the f(n) term there is the one that does not get cancelled.
Similarly, at the start of the sum we have f(2)-f(1)=(22+1)2!, and the uncancelled f there is -f(1). Hence the sum is f(n)-f(1).

Oh sorry ^3^" Got ahead of myself there. Alright so to sum it up, we stop when we reach the n term
Eveflutter said:
When using the method of differences on a given series, when do you stop listing the terms?

Example question:
f(r)= View attachment 223786; r∈N
State f(r)-f(r+1) in terms of r and hence determine View attachment 223787

So skipping until the worked answer gives View attachment 223788
Great so here I included the n+1th term because I'm guessing since the larger number in the given: f(r)-f(r+1) was r+1 so that's why I stop here? I'm not sure.

Okay so that guess works for that one but what about this one:

Example question (2):
Given f(r)= r(r+1)! show that f(r)-f(r-1)= r!(r2 +1) and hence solve View attachment 223789

Alright skipping the proof once again and going into the expansion part, I have this thus far:
(3!2 - 2!1) + (4!3 - 3!2) + (5!4 + 4!3) + ... + (here is where I'm not sure what to stop at)

Possibilities:
stopping with the subbing of the nth term ... + ((n-1)n! - (n-1)!(n-2)) + (n(n+1)! - n!(n-1))
or stopping with the subbing of the (n+1)th term ... + ((n+1)!n - n!(n-1)) + ((n+2)(n+1)! - (n+1)!n)

The respective answers I may end up with are:
at nth term: n(n+1)! - 2
at (n+1)th term: (n+2***)(n+1)! - 2

Any help will be appreciated ^3^ Thank you~!
*** had a mistake here

Eveflutter said:
so to sum it up, we stop when we reach the n term
In this instance, yes.

but to make sure check what value r should be for both sides to cancel like we did first?

Eveflutter said:
but to make sure check what value r should be for both sides to cancel like we did first?
Yes. In each case, you need to go through the steps I took.

Okay great! Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it :D

What is the method of differences for a series?

The method of differences is a mathematical technique used to find patterns and relationships in a series of numbers. It involves taking the differences between consecutive terms in the series and analyzing them to identify any underlying patterns.

How does the method of differences work?

The method of differences works by subtracting each term in a series from the term that comes after it. The resulting differences are then examined for any patterns or relationships that can help determine the general formula for the series.

What are the benefits of using the method of differences?

The method of differences can help simplify complex series and identify underlying patterns that can aid in making predictions and solving problems. It also provides a systematic approach to analyzing series, making it easier to understand and apply mathematical concepts.

What types of series can the method of differences be applied to?

The method of differences can be applied to any type of series, including arithmetic, geometric, and exponential series. It can also be used for polynomial and trigonometric series.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the method of differences?

While the method of differences can be a useful tool in analyzing series, it may not always work for every type of series. In some cases, the differences between terms may not reveal any discernible pattern, making it difficult to determine a general formula. Additionally, the method of differences may not be as effective for series with a large number of terms or complex patterns.