Method of joints & forces between joints

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding stresses in each member of a truss bridge, which involves a load between the joints. The method of joints is used to determine forces acting through each member, but there are also forces that do not act through the joints and cannot be easily summed. The group is trying to set up an equation for the vertical force on the joints and must assume that each member is in pure tension or compression. The equation for vertical force equilibrium involves the joints on either side of the applied load, and the reactions due to the loads are transmitted into the members at a particular joint.
Shakarri
Part of my assignment is to find the stresses in each member of a truss bridge, but unlike the problems I have been taught before, this involves a load between the joints of the bridge. Me and my group are using the method of joints to find the forces acting through each member, the problem is that there are forces that do not act through the joints so we cannot sum them so easily. I would like to know how to set up an equation describing the vertical force on the joints beside the force.
I attached an image which should help make sense of my query. We are meant to assume that each member is in pure tension or compression i.e. there is no deflection or bending moments.

Attachments

• bridge_image.png
    bridge_image.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
If the members can sustain no deflections and the joints cannot experience bending moments, then all that can be done is to write an equation for vertical force equilibrium involving the joints on either side of the applied load. The reactions due to the loads must then be transmitted into whatever members meet at a particular joint.

What is the method of joints?

The method of joints is a structural analysis technique used to determine the internal forces acting on each joint of a truss. It involves solving equations of equilibrium by considering the forces acting on each joint.

How do you apply the method of joints?

To apply the method of joints, you must first draw a free body diagram of the entire truss. Then, starting from a joint with only two unknown forces, you can write equations of equilibrium to solve for those forces. Repeat this process for each joint until all forces are determined.

What is the difference between tension and compression forces in a truss?

Tension forces are pulling forces that act on the members of a truss, while compression forces are pushing forces. Tension forces are typically represented by arrows pointing away from the joint, while compression forces are represented by arrows pointing towards the joint.

How do you determine which joints to start with when using the method of joints?

You should start with a joint that only has two unknown forces, as this will allow you to write two equations of equilibrium and solve for those forces. It is also helpful to start with a joint that is part of the overall support structure of the truss.

What are some common assumptions made when using the method of joints?

Some common assumptions made when using the method of joints include that all joints are pin joints (able to rotate freely), all members are weightless, and all loads are applied at the joints. Additionally, the method assumes that the truss is in static equilibrium.