Method of undetermined coefficients Problems

In summary, the two equations have different solutions, and the specific solution is not the same for both equations.
drew1435
been working on these all week some help please..

9) 3y''-6y'+30y= 15sinx+exp(x)tan(3x)

10) y''-2y'+y= 4x^2 -3+ Exp(x)/x2. Homework Equations

Variations of parame
Method of undetermined coefficients

thoughts:

i think that you need to split the eqtuaion into 2 parts. Using variation of parameters on 3y''-6y'+30y=exp(x)tan(3x).. and using method of undetermined coefficients on 3y''-6y'+30y=15sinx.. i have tried this approach on both problems with no luck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's impossible to tell what you should do without knowing what you did and seeing where you ran into trouble. What did you do?

sorry here is the work i did for #9

Generic solution:
y = e^Ax
y' = Ae^Ax
y'' = A^2 e^Ax

3A^2 - 6A + 30 = 0
3(A^2 - 2A + 10) = 0
A = [2 +/- sqrt(4 - 40) ]/2 = 1 +/- sqrt(-9) = 1 +/- 3i

y = C1 e^(1 +/- 3i)x + C2 e^(1 +/- 3i)x
y = C1 e^(1 +/- 3i)x + C2 e^(1 +/- 3i)x
y = C1 e^x (cos 3x + i sin 3x) + C2 e^x (cos 3x - i sin 3x)
y = C1' e^x cos 3x + C2' i e^x sin 3x

specific soluition using undetermined coefficients.

15sinx
If we plug in y = A sin x, we get:

3y''-6y'+30y= 27 sin x - 6 cos x

And if we plug in y = B cos x, we get:

3y''-6y'+30y= 27 cos x + 6 sin x

With a little vector addition:

27A + 6B = 15; 9A + 2B = 5
-6A + 27B = 0; A = 9/2 B

81/2 B + 2B = 5
85/2 B = 5
B = 10/85 = 2/17
A = 9/17

So y = 9/17 sin x + 2/17 cos x is the specific solution that will generate 15 sin x.

I can't quite get the third piece

This is a damn hairy diffeq. For 9, use variation of parameters. First calculate the homogeneous equation. 3y''-6y'+30y=0. since this has constant coeff, assume that the answer is of the form y=e^(mx) and plugging it in u get a auxiliary equation of the form

3m^2-6m+30=0. Solving it u get the homogenous eqn y= c[1]*Exp[x]Sin[3x]+c[2]*Exp[x]Cos[3x].

now that we have the homogeneous eqn, we can use variation of parameters to calculate v1.
where v1 = Integral[(-y2R(x))/W] for the Wronskian we get 3Exp[2x]. so

v1 = -Integral[{(Exp[x]Cos[3x])*(15Sin[x]+Exp[x]Tan[3x])}/3Exp[3x]]
solving that puppy out to take u a while but after Integrating you should get

v1 = 1/816 E^(4 x) (204 Cos[2 x] - 24 E^x Cos[3 x] - 255 Cos[4 x] -
408 Sin[2 x] + 40 E^x Sin[3 x] + 255 Sin[4 x])

then multiply v1*y1 to get the first part of the particular soln.

then find v2, multiply by y2 etc...

b/w i used mathematica to calculate v1 and i suggest u do the same for the others unless ur teacher specified otherwise. gl.

also same process as above for 10.

What is the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients is a technique used in mathematics and physics to solve differential equations with non-homogeneous terms. It involves finding a particular solution to the equation by assuming a form for the solution and solving for the coefficients.

What types of equations can be solved using the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients is primarily used for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients and non-homogeneous terms. It can also be used for solving some higher-order differential equations with non-constant coefficients.

How does the Method of Undetermined Coefficients differ from the Method of Variation of Parameters?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients assumes a particular form for the solution, while the Method of Variation of Parameters uses a more general form and solves for the coefficients. The Method of Undetermined Coefficients also only works for non-homogeneous terms, while the Method of Variation of Parameters can be used for both homogeneous and non-homogeneous terms.

What are the common forms of solution used in the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The most common forms of solution used in the Method of Undetermined Coefficients are polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. The choice of form depends on the non-homogeneous term in the equation.

What are the limitations of the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients and non-homogeneous terms. It may also fail if the assumed form of the solution overlaps with the homogeneous solution of the equation. In such cases, the Method of Variation of Parameters may be more suitable.