Methodology for evaluating Contour Integrals

• Thread starter NewtonianAlch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for evaluating a contour integral and the use of parametrization. Two methods give the correct answer while the third gives an incorrect answer, which is later realized to be due to using incorrect limits. However, it is pointed out that all three methods are essentially just different substitutions, with the third method being the simplest and most logical.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

I'm a bit uncertain as to how to do these types of integrals.

Let γ be any contour from 1 - i to 1 + i. Evaluate the following:

∫ 4z^3 dz

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this in three different methods, two of them gave the correct answer, although this could just be a fluke.

I first parametrised the line going from (1 - i) to (1 + i):

z = (1 - i) + t(2i), dz = 2i

Using Maple I substitute this in for z, expanded it out, multiplied by 4 and multiplied by dz. Integrated the result and substituted for t = 1, and t = 0, the result is 0, which is correct.

I tried a different parametrisation method which a book uses, the line was parametrised as simply z = 1 + it, since it's only changing through the y-axis. This method gives an incorrect answer, my question here is why are these two parametrisations giving different answers? Clearly they are different, but does it matter how it is being parametrised?

My last method which the lecture notes uses at times is a lot simpler.

The integral goes from (1 - i) to (1 + i). Integrate 4z^3.dz to get z^4, substitute in the bounds of the integral to get (1 + i)^4 - (1 - i)^4 => 0

So the first and last method gave the same answer, are these both viable methods? What went wrong with the variant of the parametrisation? My guess is that the first method although correct is a bit computationally intensive, in fact I didn't bother to expand it myself because it was time-consuming and there was a chance of errors kicking in, so I just used MAPLE to check whether it was going to be correct or not.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonianAlch said:

Homework Statement

I'm a bit uncertain as to how to do these types of integrals.

Let γ be any contour from 1 - i to 1 + i. Evaluate the following:

∫ 4z^3 dz

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this in three different methods, two of them gave the correct answer, although this could just be a fluke.

I first parametrised the line going from (1 - i) to (1 + i):

z = (1 - i) + t(2i), dz = 2i

Using Maple I substitute this in for z, expanded it out, multiplied by 4 and multiplied by dz. Integrated the result and substituted for t = 1, and t = 0, the result is 0, which is correct.

I tried a different parametrisation method which a book uses, the line was parametrised as simply z = 1 + it, since it's only changing through the y-axis. This method gives an incorrect answer, my question here is why are these two parametrisations giving different answers? Clearly they are different, but does it matter how it is being parametrised?

My last method which the lecture notes uses at times is a lot simpler.

The integral goes from (1 - i) to (1 + i). Integrate 4z^3.dz to get z^4, substitute in the bounds of the integral to get (1 + i)^4 - (1 - i)^4 => 0

So the first and last method gave the same answer, are these both viable methods? What went wrong with the variant of the parametrisation? My guess is that the first method although correct is a bit computationally intensive, in fact I didn't bother to expand it myself because it was time-consuming and there was a chance of errors kicking in, so I just used MAPLE to check whether it was going to be correct or not.

Thanks in advance.

I get the same answer for the second method. Did you use the correct limits t=-1 and t=1?

LCKurtz said:
I get the same answer for the second method. Did you use the correct limits t=-1 and t=1?

Ah...I completely forgot it was varying from - 1 to 1 and not 0 to 1, that's where I went wrong.

Thanks for pointing that out.

It should be noted that these three aren't really different methods. They're just different substitutes. The point of substitutions is to simplify, so only the third (no substitution) makes much sense.

Fair point. I didn't quite realize it at first since I'm new to this. I was just fiddling with different examples to see what would happen, but yes, the third makes the most sense here.

Thanks!

Related to Methodology for evaluating Contour Integrals

1. What is the purpose of evaluating contour integrals?

The purpose of evaluating contour integrals is to calculate the value of an integral along a specific path, known as a contour, in the complex plane. This allows for the calculation of complex integrals that cannot be evaluated using standard methods.

2. How is the contour chosen for evaluating a contour integral?

The contour is chosen based on the specific function being integrated and the desired result. Commonly used contours include circles, rectangles, and keyhole contours. The contour must also avoid any singularities of the function.

3. What are the steps involved in evaluating a contour integral?

The steps for evaluating a contour integral include:

1. Choosing an appropriate contour.
  2. Parameterizing the contour in terms of a variable t.
  3. Substituting the parameterization into the integral.
  4. Applying the Cauchy Integral Theorem or Cauchy Integral Formula, depending on the type of contour.
  5. Simplifying the resulting integral and solving for the desired value.

4. How do you handle singularities when evaluating a contour integral?

Singularities, or points where the function being integrated is undefined, must be avoided when choosing the contour. If a singularity cannot be avoided, a small semi-circle contour can be used to "skirt" around the singularity. In some cases, the Cauchy Residue Theorem can also be used to evaluate integrals with singularities.

5. What are some applications of contour integrals in scientific research?

Contour integrals have many applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate complex line integrals in electromagnetism, to solve differential equations in fluid mechanics, and to evaluate path integrals in quantum mechanics. Contour integrals also have applications in signal processing, control theory, and numerical analysis.