Metric Homeomorphism: Isometry Equivalence?

In summary: Is there an example or not? Or how does a metric and a homeomorphism relate? As mentioned above, as long as metric and homeomorphism do not commute, and I can't see why they have to, as long there is a counterexample. One could even have two different metrics on ##Y##, one which extends the homeomorphism, and one which is a completely different one as e.g. the discrete metric.
facenian
Is every homeomorphism between a metric space X and a topological Y equivalent to an isometry?
I think it is, but I need to confirm.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In what sense do you mean "equivalent" there are different notions of isomorphisms?

Anyway if Y doesn't have some norm defined on it how do you want this homeomorphism to be an isometry?

An Isometry conserves the norm from one normed space to another normed space.

There is no norm neither in X nor in Y. X does have a metric, Y is a topological space with no metric. The question is whether the topology in Y is generated by isometry.
The question is a gnerenal one, normed spaces are particular cases of metric spaces defined on vector spaces.

facenian said:
Is every homeomorphism between a metric space X and a topological Y equivalent to an isometry?

Define isometry where the codomain is an arbitrary topological space? Isn't an isometry a map that preserves distances?

Math_QED said:
Define isometry where the codomain is an arbitrary topological space? Isn't an isometry a map that preserves distances?
Yes, that is the correct concept of isometry. The codomain Y has a topolgy (NO METRIC) which is homeomorfic with X(whic has a metric topology). Now you define a metric in Y by isometry. The question is whether the NEW topology generated in Y by isometry coincides wih the previous existing one.

If Y doesn't have a distance defined on it, then how can the homeomorphism conserve the distances from X to Y?

I mean an isometry between two metric spaces, X and Y is one such that ##d_Y(f(x),f(y))=d_X(x,y)## where ##d_Y## is the metric on ##Y## and ##d_X## the metric on ##X##.If there isn't a metric on ##Y## then how can there be an isometry between the two spaces?

Let me rephrase the question.

Given a homeomorphism ##\varphi\, : \,X \longrightarrow Y## where ##X## carries a metric induced topology, and ##Y## an arbitrary one.
a) Can we equip ##Y## with a metric induced by ##\varphi##?
b) Will this automatically result in an isometry ##\hat{\varphi}##?
c) Is there an example where ##(X,d) \cong (Y,\tau)## and ##\tau## is not given by a metric?

I believe you indeed can define a metric on Y by defining: ##d_Y(x,y)=d_X(\varphi^{-1}(x),\varphi^{-1}y)##.

fresh_42 said:
Let me rephrase the question.

Given a homeomorphism ##\varphi\, : \,X \longrightarrow Y## where ##X## carries a metric induced topology, and ##Y## an arbitrary one.
a) Can we equip ##Y## with a metric induced by ##\varphi##?
b) Will this automatically result in an isometry ##\hat{\varphi}##?
c) Is there an example where ##(X,d) \cong (Y,\tau)## and ##\tau## is not given by a metric?

The answer to a) is afirmative and it is the isometry. Is this isometry the same topology as the one previously given in Y?. I believe the answer is yes but I'm not sure. In this case c) is not posible

facenian said:
The answer to a) is afirmative and it is the isometry.
Proof? I don't see how the triangle inequality follows from @MathematicalPhysicist 's definition? If we have an isometry, then ##d## and ##\varphi## commute, but not the other way around. I guess one has to define an appropriate topology on ##Y## first.
facenian said:
In this case c) is not posible
... which exactly has been your question. Is there an example or not? Or how does a metric and a homeomorphism relate? As mentioned above, as long as metric and homeomorphism do not commute, and I can't see why they have to, as long there is a counterexample. One could even have two different metrics on ##Y##, one which extends the homeomorphism, and one which is a completely different one as e.g. the discrete metric.

fresh_42 said:
Proof? I don't see how the triangle inequality follows from @MathematicalPhysicist 's definition? If we have an isometry, then ##d## and ##\varphi## commute, but not the other way around. I guess one has to define an appropriate topology on ##Y## first.

... which exactly has been your question. Is there an example or not? Or how does a metric and a homeomorphism relate? As mentioned above, as long as metric and homeomorphism do not commute, and I can't see why they have to, as long there is a counterexample. One could even have two different metrics on ##Y##, one which extends the homeomorphism, and one which is a completely different one as e.g. the discrete metric.
Why shouldn't the triangle inequality from my definition ##d_Y(x,y)=d_X(\varphi^{-1} x , \varphi^{-1} y) \le d_X(\varphi^{-1}x,\varphi^{-1}z)+d_X(\varphi^{-1}z , \varphi^{-1}y)= d_Y(x,z)+d_Y(z,y)##, I used the triangle inequality on the metric of the space ##X##.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Why shouldn't the triangle inequality from my definition ##d_Y(x,y)=d_X(\varphi^{-1} x , \varphi^{-1} y) \le d_X(\varphi^{-1}x,\varphi^{-1}z)+d_X(\varphi^{-1}z , \varphi^{-1}y)= d_Y(x,z)+d_Y(z,y)##, I used the triangle inequality on the metric of the space ##X##.
So the answers to a) and b) is yes, we can copy the topology isometrically from ##X## on ##Y## by a given bijection.

Thus we have sufficiency. Is it also necessary? I think not, that is it remains to give a counterexample for c), i.e. homeomorphic spaces with incompatible metrics, or one without a metric at all.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I believe you indeed can define a metric on Y by defining: ##d_Y(x,y)=d_X(\varphi^{-1}(x),\varphi^{-1}y)##.
I believe that this prompt closes all the questions. This metric generates a topology in ##Y##that is equivalent to ##\tau##

facenian said:
I think the case of Arctan between an interval and the Real line is a standard counter. There is no mention/need of choice of isometry between the two, so you can use any metric in the interval, and not all metrics are equivalent. But, yes, if there is an isomorphism, you may pull-back the metric as mentioned in other posts, to give you an isometry. EDIT: Basically, we use in e.g., (-1,1) , the subspace metric, under which (-1,1) is bounded, and similar for the Real line with the standard metric is unbounded.EDIT2: Notice too, that with the subspace metric d(x,y):=|x-y|, that (-1,1) is not complete, e.g., take ## a_n =1+1/n ## , while the Reals are. Notice too, that unless you include the condition of a bijection, an isometry is not necessarily a homeomorphism.

Last edited:
I just thought of a much simpler example: take f(x)=2x ( f(x)= kx , ## k \neq 1 ## will do ).; ## f: \mathbb R \rightarrow \mathbb R ##, both with standard metric) Then (x,y) with d(x,y)=|x-y| is sent to (2x,2y) with d(2x,2y)= 2|x-y|.

1. What is a metric homeomorphism?

A metric homeomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to the relationship between two metric spaces. It is a type of function that maps points from one metric space to another, while preserving the distance between the points. In other words, a metric homeomorphism is a function that maintains the same metric structure between two spaces.

2. What is the difference between metric homeomorphism and isometry?

Metric homeomorphism and isometry are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. While both concepts refer to preserving the distance between points in a metric space, isometry implies that the function also preserves other geometric properties such as angles and shapes.

3. How can metric homeomorphism be used in real life?

Metric homeomorphism has various applications in real life, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it can be used to model physical systems, analyze data, and design algorithms.

4. Can metric homeomorphism exist between different types of metric spaces?

Yes, metric homeomorphism can exist between different types of metric spaces as long as they have the same underlying metric structure. This means that the distance between points can be preserved even if the spaces have different shapes or dimensions.

5. How is metric homeomorphism different from topological equivalence?

Metric homeomorphism and topological equivalence are similar concepts that both deal with preserving the structure of mathematical spaces. However, metric homeomorphism focuses on preserving the distance between points, while topological equivalence is concerned with preserving the open sets and continuity of functions between spaces.