Metric Space: A Proof of diam(A∪B) ≤ diam(A) + diam(B) | Homework Help

In summary, we can prove that in a metric space (X,d) with subsets A and B of X, where A and B have non-zero intersection, the diameter of the union of A and B is less than or equal to the sum of the diameters of A and B. This is shown using the triangle inequality and the fact that the intersection of A and B is non-empty.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

Consider a metric space (X,d) with subsets A and B of X, where A and B have non-zero intersection. Show that diam(A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A) + diam(B)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A hint would be very much appreciated. :smile:Let x[itex]\in[/itex]A, y[itex]\in[/itex]B, z[itex]\in[/itex]A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B

diam(A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B) = sup[d(x,y)] for every x,y.
So d(x,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B)

Either z[itex]\in[/itex]A, or z[itex]\in[/itex]B, or z in both.

Consider firstly z[itex]\in[/itex]A.
d(x,z) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A)

If z[itex]\in[/itex]B,
d(z,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(B)

Therefore, d(x,z) + d(z,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A) + diam(B)

But d(x,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] d(x,z) + d(z,y), hence
d(x,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A) + diam(B)As far as I've gotten...

Physics news on Phys.org
Examine a point in [itex]z\in A\cap B[/itex] and then examine the distance from [itex]x\in A[/itex] and [itex]b\in B[/itex] and examine the distance from x to y.and apply the definition of diameter.

Wait, I have these two results

d(x,y) ≤ diam(A⋃B)

d(x,y) ≤ diam(A) + diam(B)

The latter holds for all x,y, and the maximum value of d(x,y) is diam(A⋃B), which still has to be less than or equal to diam(A) + diam(B).

So, diam(A⋃B) ≤ diam(A) + diam(B)Is my reasoning correct?

I think so.

Maybe_Memorie said:
Wait, I have these two results

d(x,y) ≤ diam(A⋃B)

d(x,y) ≤ diam(A) + diam(B)

The latter holds for all x,y, and the maximum value of d(x,y) is diam(A⋃B), which still has to be less than or equal to diam(A) + diam(B).

So, diam(A⋃B) ≤ diam(A) + diam(B)

Is my reasoning correct?

That doesn't sound right to me. Where did you get d(x,y)<=diam(A)+diam(B)? Isn't that what you are trying to prove? And where did you use that the intersection of A and B is nonempty? The result is false if that isn't true.

Dick said:
That doesn't sound right to me. Where did you get d(x,y)<=diam(A)+diam(B)? Isn't that what you are trying to prove? And where did you use that the intersection of A and B is nonempty? The result is false if that isn't true.

I showed it in my first post, using the triangle inequality. And no, I'm trying to prove that
diam(A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A) + diam(B)

As for using the fact that the intersection is non-empty, if it was empty then the inequality
d(x,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A) + diam(B) is not necessarily true, but it is non-empty, so it is correct.

Maybe_Memorie said:
I showed it in my first post, using the triangle inequality. And no, I'm trying to prove that
diam(A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A) + diam(B)

Ah, indeed you did. Sorry, I didn't read the initial post thoroughly enough.

No problem, so is my proof correct?

Suppose [itex]z\in A\cap B[/itex], [itex]x\in A[/itex] and [itex]y\in B[/itex], the from the triangle inequality:
[tex]
d(x,y)\leqslant d(x,z)+d(z,y)
[/tex]
we also know that [itex]d(x,z)\leqslant\textrm{diam}(A)[/itex] and [itex]d(z,y)\leqslant\textrm{diam}(B)[/itex], so we just put these together.

Maybe_Memorie said:
No problem, so is my proof correct?

I think you need to be a little more precise. diam(AUB) is the LEAST UPPER BOUND for d(x,y). diam(A)+diam(B) is another upper bound. Just saying they are both upper bounds won't do it. I think that's what you were trying to say with "the maximum value of d(x,y) is diam(A⋃B)" but that's not quite right. There may be no x and y with d(x,y)=diam(AUB).

I'm afraid you did not apply the triangle property correctly in your opening post.

If you assume that z is in A, then
d(x,z) ≤ diam(A),
but you can not assume that d(z,y) ≤ diam(B).

So you cannot conclude that d(x,z)+d(z,y) ≤ diam(A)+diam(B)

To get your triangle inequality straight you need to use what Dick suggested.

I like Serena said:
I'm afraid you did not apply the triangle property correctly in your opening post.

d(x,z) ≤ diam(A),

So you cannot conclude that d(x,z)+d(z,y) ≤ diam(A)+diam(B)To get your triangle inequality straight you need to use what Dick suggested.

Ach, I'm starting mix up who wrote what. But hunt_mat gave the correct argument. I think maybe Maybe_Memory meant to as well but muddled up the cases a bit and didn't mention the triangle inequality.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:

d(x,z) ≤ diam(A),

So you cannot conclude that d(x,z)+d(z,y) ≤ diam(A)+diam(B)

To get your triangle inequality straight you need to use what Dick suggested.

I'm assuming z is in A, and getting d(x,z) ≤ diam(A)
Then considering the case where z is in B, and getting d(z,y) ≤ diam(B).

Then adding the results.

You're considering two different possibilities and you need both possibilities to be true at the same time, you can only do that if z is in the intersection of A and B.

Maybe_Memorie said:
I'm assuming z is in A, and getting d(x,z) ≤ diam(A)
Then considering the case where z is in B, and getting d(z,y) ≤ diam(B).

Then adding the results.

You cannot combine 2 choices for z in 1 equation.

Aaah! Right, I see the problem! So as hunt_mat said

hunt_mat said:
Suppose [itex]z\in A\cap B[/itex], [itex]x\in A[/itex] and [itex]y\in B[/itex], the from the triangle inequality:
[tex]
d(x,y)\leqslant d(x,z)+d(z,y)
[/tex]
we also know that [itex]d(x,z)\leqslant\textrm{diam}(A)[/itex] and [itex]d(z,y)\leqslant\textrm{diam}(B)[/itex], so we just put these together.

I understand this now.

As for the issue with combining my results to get the desired expression;

d(x,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B)

d(x,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A) + diam(B)

diam(A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B) is the least upper bound for d(x,y) and is contained in d(x,y) so d(x,y) can take the value diam(A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B)
so diam(A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B) [itex]\leq[/itex] diam(A) + diam(B)

You have the right idea, but I'm afraid it's not a proper proof.

First off, you need to split the possibilities for x and y into 4 cases, which can be reduced to 2 cases: x and y in the same set, or x and y in different sets.

Furthermore, there is no guarantee that d(x,y) can take the value diam(A[itex]\cup[/itex]B).
What you can do, is start with your triangle inequality for x,y, and z.
And then take the sup on both sides, yielding the diameters.

I like Serena said:
You have the right idea, but I'm afraid it's not a proper proof.

First off, you need to split the possibilities for x and y into 4 cases, which can be reduced to 2 cases: x and y in the same set, or x and y in different sets.

Furthermore, there is no guarantee that d(x,y) can take the value diam(A[itex]\cup[/itex]B).
What you can do, is start with your triangle inequality for x,y, and z.
And then take the sup on both sides, yielding the diameters.

Okay, if I take d(x,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] d(x,z) + d(z,y), take the sup on both sides,
sup [d(x,y)] [itex]\leq[/itex] sup [d(x,z) + d(z,y)]

Is it correct to say sup [d(x,z) + d(z,y)] [itex]\leq[/itex] sup [d(x,z)] + sup[d(z,y)]
hence sup [d(x,y)] [itex]\leq[/itex] sup [d(x,z)] + sup[d(z,y)] which is what i need?

Maybe_Memorie said:
Okay, if I take d(x,y) [itex]\leq[/itex] d(x,z) + d(z,y), take the sup on both sides,
sup [d(x,y)] [itex]\leq[/itex] sup [d(x,z) + d(z,y)]

Is it correct to say sup [d(x,z) + d(z,y)] [itex]\leq[/itex] sup [d(x,z)] + sup[d(z,y)]
hence sup [d(x,y)] [itex]\leq[/itex] sup [d(x,z)] + sup[d(z,y)] which is what i need?

It's still slightly more subtle.
What you say is correct btw, but it is not sufficient.

First we have to assume that sup[d(x,y)]=diam(AuB) for x in A and y in B.
(You have to prove the other cases separately.)
Then you can say what you said with an arbitrary z in AnB.
Then you can conclude that sup[d(x,z)] ≤ diam(A) and sup[d(z,y)] ≤ diam(B).
And from this follows your inequality (for this case).

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that defines a set of points with a distance function between them. The distance function is known as a metric, and it measures the distance between any two points in the space.

2. What does diam(A) mean in the proof of diam(A∪B) ≤ diam(A) + diam(B)?

The symbol diam(A) represents the diameter of set A, which is the longest distance between any two points in the set. In this proof, it is used to calculate the maximum distance between any two points in the union of sets A and B.

3. How does the proof show that diam(A∪B) ≤ diam(A) + diam(B)?

The proof uses the triangle inequality property of metric spaces, which states that the distance between two points is always less than or equal to the sum of the distances between those points and a third point. By applying this property to the sets A and B, the proof shows that the maximum distance between any two points in the union of A and B is always less than or equal to the sum of the maximum distances in A and B.

4. What does the ≤ symbol mean in the proof?

In this context, the symbol ≤ represents the "less than or equal to" relationship. It is used to show that the maximum distance between any two points in the union of sets A and B is always less than or equal to the sum of the maximum distances in A and B.

5. Why is this proof important in mathematics?

This proof is important because it is a fundamental property of metric spaces. It helps to establish the relationship between the maximum distances in different sets and provides a basis for other theorems and proofs in metric space theory. It is also used in real-world applications, such as in geometry and physics, to calculate distances between objects in a given space.