Minimum work to transport electron?

In summary: Gauss's law.In summary, using Gauss's law for the ring will give the same answer as using Coulomb's law.
qlzlahs

Homework Statement

A charge Q = -820 nC is uniformly distributed on a ring of 2.4 m radius. A point charge q = +530 nC is fixed at the center of the ring. Points A and B are located on the axis of the ring, as shown in the figure. What is the minimum work that an external force must do to transport an electron from B to A?
(e = 1.60 × 10^-19 C, k = 1/4πε_0 = 8.99 × 10^9 N · m^2/C^2)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/work-png.93021/?temp_hash=3fc763fb95a2d9ab71f3bf4a54a23c14

Homework Equations

V = (k*q)/(sqrt(R^2 + z^2))
work = (V_b - V_a)*q
work = (k*q_1*q_2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

V_B = (9*10^9*530*10^(-9))/(3.2) = 1490.625 V
V_A = (9*10^9*530*10^(-9))/(1.8) = 2650 V
V_B - V_A = -1159.375 V

(V_B - V_A)*q, where q = 1.60*10^-19 C
(-1159.375)*(1.60*10^-19) = -1.855*10^-16 J

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use -820 nC or 530 nC for the q value when calculating V_B or V_A.

Attachments

• work.png
    work.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,043
Physics news on Phys.org
qlzlahs said:
V_B = (9*10^9*530*10^(-9))/(3.2) = 1490.625 V

Does the ring also contribute to the potential at point B?

TSny said:
Does the ring also contribute to the potential at point B?

I was assuming that if the ring contributes to the potential at point A, it would to point B as well.

qlzlahs said:
I was assuming that if the ring contributes to the potential at point A, it would to point B as well.
The same amount at both points?

So.. How do I know how much potential there is at point B?

Look at your list of relevant equations.

TSny said:
Look at your list of relevant equations.

Do I use the equation V = (k*q)/(sqrt(R^2 + z^2)) for both points A and B? With R = 2.4 and z = 1.8 for A, and z = 3.2 m for B?

Coulomb's law, F=kQ1Q2/r^2
Work=Fr
Since F is not constant between A and B, we have to calculate based on small distances dr so that F is constant within it.
dW=F(r)dr

Edit
You have to apply Gauss law too for the ring.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
Coulomb's law, F=kQ1Q2/r^2
Work=Fr
Since F is not constant between A and B, we have to calculate based on small distances dr so that F is constant within it.
dW=F(r)dr

Edit
You have to use Gauss law too for the ring.
Why would he want to use Gauss's law for this question? Work is equal to change in potential energy since ##\Delta K=0##, i.e. ##W=\Delta U=q\Delta V##, in this case ##q## is the electron. Note that for continuous charge distributions(Like the ring of charge): ##V=\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\int\frac{dq}{r}##

What is the concept of minimum work to transport electron?

The minimum work to transport electron is the amount of energy required to move an electron from one point to another in an electric field without any change in its kinetic or potential energy. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in different materials and in the design of electronic devices.

How is the minimum work to transport electron calculated?

The minimum work to transport electron can be calculated using the formula W = -qEd, where W is the work done on the electron, q is the charge of the electron, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance the electron is moved. This formula assumes that the electric field is constant and the electron is moved in a straight line.

What factors affect the minimum work to transport electron?

The minimum work to transport electron is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance the electron is moved, and the charge of the electron. It is also influenced by the presence of other particles or materials that may interact with the electron and change its energy.

Why is the concept of minimum work to transport electron important in electronics?

In electronics, the minimum work to transport electron is important because it determines the amount of energy needed to move electrons in a circuit. This energy is ultimately responsible for powering electronic devices and is also a key factor in determining the efficiency and speed of electronic components.

What are some real-world applications of the minimum work to transport electron?

The concept of minimum work to transport electron has many real-world applications, such as in the design of semiconductors for electronic devices, the development of solar panels, and the study of energy conversion in chemical reactions. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electrons in different materials and in the development of new technologies.