Mirror/Lens Equation and Resistors in Parallel

In summary, the lowest common denominator is 36, but you can't just add the numerators together because they don't share a common denominator. You have to find a common denominator and then use either Useful rule (1) or (2).
jefgreen
I'm not sure how to find the least common denominator when given these formulas:

ohmE14.gif

96ff7f1e-3579-4297-b35e-e6131aae310a.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In addition, sometimes I am asked to solve for R2 (using the Parallel circuits equation) and do (using the mirror/lens equation).

Bump10char.

Do you have an example with numbers in it? How about (1/9)+(1/4)+(1/12)?
Try to do that and show your work and where you're stuck. If you have a better example, feel free to show your work with that one.

Do you have an example with numbers in it? How about (1/9)+(1/4)+(1/12)?
Try to do that and show your work and where you're stuck. If you have a better example, feel free to show your work with that one.

36 would be the lowest common denominator.

1/36+1/36+1/36=3/36?

36/3=12

Correct?

Bump10char

The LCM is 36, but its not 1/36+1/36+1/36

is 1/9 = 1/36?
is 1/4 = 1/36?
is 1/12 = 1/36?

Daft said:
The LCM is 36, but its not 1/36+1/36+1/36

is 1/9 = 1/36?
is 1/4 = 1/36?
is 1/12 = 1/36?

I apologize for my pathetic lack of basic math, but could you walk me through the process of how to get the answer?

Okay, look at this this way (I really don't mean to sound condescending, so sorry if it does):

2/4 = 1/2 right? That's easy to understand

We have to add:

1/9 + 1/4 + 1/12

What we have to do is write these fractions in a way that they all have the same denominator (which is the lcm, 36)

So the value of the fractions stay the same, we just write them in a different way

Let's use 1/9:

In the same way that 2/4 = 1/2,

1/9 = some number / 36. All you have to do is ask yourself, what number to I multiply by 9 to get 36? The answer is 4

therefore: 1/9 = 4/36

Do the same for 1/4. What multiplied by 4 = 36? the answer is 9

so 1/4 = 9/36

What multiplied by 12 = 36?

So 1/12 =
3/36

Then you just write them like that (with the same denominator) and add them, and you have your answer.

You said you sometimes have to solve for R2 or d0. For these you can just rearrage the equations

eg: from 1/Re = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 (the 'e' means equivalent) you get

1/R2 = 1/Re - 1/R1 - 1/R2

The same can be done for d0

Last edited:
Here is some general advice. I'll start simple, with basic fractions.

Useful rule (1). If you multiply the denominator by some number, and you multiply the numerator by the same number, it doesn't change the fraction. Here is an example. Suppose you have some fraction, such as

[tex] \frac{3}{4} [/tex]

then if we multiply both the numerator and denominator by 5, the fraction is the same as it was before:

[tex] \frac{3(5)}{4(5)} = \frac{15}{20} [/tex]

What that means is 3/4 and 15/20 are the same number! The same works for dividing. If we divide both the numerator and denominator by the same number, it doesn't change the fraction.

[tex] \frac{15}{20} = \frac{\frac{15}{5}}{\frac{20}{5}} = \frac{3}{4} [/tex]

The same does not apply to addition or subtraction. It only works for multiplication and division. So don't add or subtract some constant from both the numerator and denominator; it will change the value of the fraction!

Useful rule (2). You can add the numerators of fractions together if they share a common denominator. Here is an example.

[tex] \frac{1}{10} + \frac{3}{10} = \frac{4}{10} [/tex]

Now let's combine ideas 1 and 2 together in an example.

[tex] \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} + \frac{3}{4} [/tex]

The first thing to do is find a common denominator. In this case it is 12.

[tex] = \frac{1(6)}{2(6)} - \frac{1(4)}{3(4)} + \frac{3(3)}{4(3)} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{6}{12} - \frac{4}{12} + \frac{9}{12} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{6 - 4 + 9}{12} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{11}{12} [/tex]

Useful rule (3). If you are trying to find a common denominator, and can't come up with a simple one, you can always multiply the denominators together as a sure thing. Here is an example:

[tex] \frac{1}{11} + \frac{3}{13} = \frac{1(13)}{11(13)} + \frac{3(11)}{13(11)} = \frac{13 + 33}{143} = \frac{46}{143} [/tex]

Useful rule (4). The same works for variables. Consider the example,

[tex] \frac{1}{10} + \frac{1}{R} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1(R)}{10(R)} + \frac{1(10)}{R(10)} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{R + 10}{10R} [/tex]

=========== Now let's consider a more complicated example.

Suppose we have

[tex] \frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R} + \frac{1}{20} [/tex]

And the goal is to solve for R, in terms of Req.

Let's start by putting the terms with R in them on one side of the equation.

[tex] \frac{1}{R} = \frac{1}{R_{eq}} - \frac{1}{20} [/tex]

Find a common denominator for the right side.

[tex] \frac{1}{R} = \frac{1(20)}{R_{eq}(20)} - \frac{1(R_{eq})}{20(R_{eq})} [/tex]

Simplify,

[tex] \frac{1}{R} = \frac{20}{20R_{eq}} - \frac{R_{eq}}{20R_{eq}}[/tex]

which becomes,

[tex] \frac{1}{R} = \frac{20 - R_{eq}}{20R_{eq}} [/tex]

Invert both sides of the equation,

[tex]R = \frac{1}{\frac{20 - R_{eq}}{20R_{eq}}} [/tex]

Thus,

[tex]R = \frac{20R_{eq}}{20 - R_{eq}} [/tex]

Does that make any more sense?

Thank you guys for all of the help. I understand everything :).

Related to Mirror/Lens Equation and Resistors in Parallel

1. What is the mirror/lens equation?

The mirror/lens equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the distance of an object from a curved mirror or lens, the distance of the image from the mirror or lens, and the focal length of the mirror or lens. It is given by the formula 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the distance of the object from the mirror or lens, i is the distance of the image from the mirror or lens, and f is the focal length.

2. How is the mirror/lens equation used in real life?

The mirror/lens equation is used in various applications, such as in designing and constructing optical instruments like telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. It is also used in everyday life, such as in adjusting the position of a mirror to get a clear reflection or in choosing the correct lens for glasses or contact lenses.

3. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror/lens?

A concave mirror or lens curves inward and is thicker in the center than at the edges. It is able to produce both real and virtual images depending on the location of the object. On the other hand, a convex mirror or lens curves outward and is thinner in the center than at the edges. It can only produce virtual images that are always upright and smaller than the object.

4. What is the formula for calculating equivalent resistance in parallel circuits?

The formula for calculating equivalent resistance in parallel circuits is 1/Re = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Re is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, ..., Rn are the individual resistances in parallel. This formula takes into account the inverse relationship between resistance and current flow in parallel circuits.

5. How is the concept of equivalent resistance used in practical applications?

The concept of equivalent resistance is used in designing and analyzing complex electrical circuits. By calculating the equivalent resistance, engineers and scientists can determine the overall resistance and current flow in a circuit, which is necessary for proper functioning and safety considerations. It is also used in troubleshooting and repairing electrical systems.