Mixing bleach/disinfectants with glycerine

• Thread starter Rigby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the individual is currently running trials at work that involve disinfecting a glycerine-dye solution. They have been advised to add bleach, but have avoided doing so due to concerns about mixing bleach with organic compounds. They have heard of incidents where this combination has caused explosions and fires. Instead, they are considering using chlorhexidine and diluting it in warm water before adding glycerine. They ask about the correct method and potential by-products of this process. The responder notes that chlorhexidine does not contain active chlorine and is commonly used with organic compounds, so it is likely not an issue. The individual thanks the responder for their advice.
Rigby
I am running trials at work that require disinfecting of a glycerine-dye solution...I have been advised to add bleach but have always avoided mixing bleach/sodium hypochlorite with organic compounds eg glycerine. I have even heard of incidents in Dried flower industry where incorrect mixing of bleach and glycerine have exploded and burnt down the entire factory! Hence I have avoided these combinations as I am unsure of correct method...

I understand sodium hypochlorite is a strong oxidiser is that what causes the reaction?

Instead I am considering using chlorhexidine (C22H30Cl2N10) and was going to dilute chlorhexidine (1ml/L) in warm water befor slowly adding glycerine (200-500ml/L) is this the correct method and what gases or unwanted by-products am I creating?

Sorry it's been a while since chemistry lectures at uni...Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
None. There is no active chlorine in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorhexidine" if that is what concerns you. Chlorhexidine is used in mouthwashes that contain organic compounds like sorbitol and saccharine which also contain -OH groups found in glycerol. Probably not an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your advice - greatly appreciated! :-)

1. Can I mix bleach with glycerine to create a disinfectant?

No, it is not recommended to mix bleach with glycerine. Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, which can react with glycerine and other organic compounds to produce toxic gases.

2. Is it safe to mix two different disinfectants, one of which contains glycerine?

It is generally not recommended to mix two different disinfectants, especially if one of them contains glycerine. Glycerine can react with other chemicals to form harmful byproducts, and the effectiveness of the disinfectants can also be compromised.

3. Can adding glycerine to bleach make it more effective as a disinfectant?

No, adding glycerine to bleach will not enhance its disinfecting properties. In fact, it can have the opposite effect by producing toxic fumes and reducing the effectiveness of the bleach.

4. Is it safe to mix glycerine with other household cleaning products?

It is generally not recommended to mix glycerine with other household cleaning products, as it can react with certain chemicals and produce harmful byproducts. It is important to always read the labels and follow the instructions on cleaning products to avoid any potential hazards.

5. Can exposure to a mixture of bleach and glycerine be harmful to my health?

Yes, exposure to a mixture of bleach and glycerine can be harmful to your health. It can produce toxic fumes that can irritate the respiratory system, eyes, and skin. It is important to always use cleaning products as directed and in a well-ventilated area.