Modular form quick question translation algebra

So, in summary, the conversation is discussing the properties of a function ##f(\tau)## and its expansions, specifically how they can be written as a sum and how they behave under certain transformations. The particular question being addressed is how the function behaves under the transformation ##f(\frac{\tau + 1 + j}{p})## and the explanation involves a simple substitution and a change in variable.
binbagsss
Please see attached.

I am trying to show that

## T_{p} f (\tau + 1) = T_{p} f (\tau ) ##
##f(\tau) \in M_k ## and so can be written as a expansion as ##f(\tau)=\sum\limits^{\infty}_{0}a_{n}e^{2 \pi i n \tau } ##
##f(\tau + 1) = f(\tau) ## since ##e^{2\pi i n} = 1##
Similarly ##f(p\tau + p) = f(p\tau) ## for the same reason since ##np \in Z \geq 1 ## so the extra exponential term is ##1## again.

But I DONT UNDERSTAND how it goes from ##f(\frac{\tau + 1 + j}{p}) = f(\frac{\tau+j}{p}) ## , since it is not guarenteed that ##1/p## is an integer, I mean it only is when ##p=1## so ##e^{2 \pi n i (t+1+j)/p} = e^{ 2 \pi i n (t+j)/p}e^{2 \pi i n (1/p) } ## and ##e^{2 \pi i n (1/p) } ## is equal to ##1## only when ##p=1##. second equality of attached.

help please. thank you.

Attachments

• hecke op.png
    hecke op.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
It is simply a substitution of ##j \rightarrow i-1## and calling the ##i## afterwards ##j## again. (A usual business when dealing with sums.)

Likes binbagsss

1. What is a modular form?

A modular form is a complex analytic function that satisfies certain transformation properties under a discrete group of symmetries. It is often used in number theory, algebraic geometry, and theoretical physics.

2. What does "quick question translation" mean in the context of modular forms?

In modular form theory, "quick question translation" refers to the process of translating a given modular form into a simpler form, often using various techniques such as modular substitutions or Fourier expansions.

3. How is algebra used in the study of modular forms?

Algebra is essential in the study of modular forms as it provides a framework for understanding the transformation properties and symmetries of these functions. Algebraic techniques such as group theory, representation theory, and Galois theory are commonly used to study modular forms.

4. What is the significance of modular forms in mathematics?

Modular forms play a crucial role in various areas of mathematics such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and mathematical physics. They have connections to other important mathematical objects, such as elliptic curves and L-functions, and have been used to solve long-standing mathematical problems.

5. Are there any practical applications of modular forms?

While modular forms were originally studied for their significance in pure mathematics, they have also found practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and signal processing. They have also been used in the study of certain physical systems, such as quantum field theory and string theory.