Moment about a point using graph paper

In summary, the solution to the given problem involves resolving forces and using the equation for torque. However, there was a mistake in the given solution as 39(1/sqrt26)(1) should actually be 39(12/13)(0) and 60(4/5)(3) should be 60(4/5)(2). The correct answer is 95 Nm. The method used to resolve forces may vary, but it should ultimately result in the correct answer.
werson tan

Homework Statement

the ans given is 95Nm , but i gt 80.9Nm , which part i did wrongly ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

20(4) -39(5/surd 26(3)) +39(1/surd26)(1) -60(3/5)(1)+60(4/5)(3)
=80.9[/B]

Attachments

• DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0089.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
What is a surd26 ?
Could you tidy up your notation in general as well. 20(4) probably means 20 N * 4 m = 80 Nm ?

[edit] o:) sorry, that 20(4) is a correct notation. Just had to get used to the sight.

Last edited:
firstly, I don't think

20(4) -39(5/surd 26(3)) +39(1/surd26)(1) -60(3/5)(1)+60(4/5)(3)

would yield 80.9

The term 39(1/ Sqrt[26])(1) should not be there... 60 (4/5)(3) the (3) should be a (2)

however with these adjustments, the answer is still not 95 Nm clockwise by my calculations (more like 25-ish), I believe there might be typo somewhere??

Sigh... after wasting some time on this, I conclude that surd26 is ##\sqrt { 26}## and you use it to decompose the 39 N into x and y components. For the ##\ \vec r\ ## in ##\ \vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F\ ## you then take ##\ \vec r = (1,3)\ ##. Shouldn't that be ##\ \vec r = (0,3) \ ## ? It gives yet another answer, but I wouldn't trust a book answer in a book that let's 1 m be represented by a square ( :wink: )

PS I get what mjsd gets. The bat types faster ... :smile:

BvU said:
Sigh... after wasting some time on this, I conclude that surd26 is ##\sqrt { 26}## and you use it to decompose the 39 N into x and y components. For the ##\ \vec r\ ## in ##\ \vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F\ ## you then take ##\ \vec r = (1,3)\ ##. Shouldn't that be ##\ \vec r = (0,3) \ ## ? It gives yet another answer, but I wouldn't trust a book answer in a book that let's 1 m be represented by a square ( :wink: )

PS I get what mjsd gets. The bat types faster ... :smile:

sorry , the book contain error , the 1m should be 12m on the 39N triangle . I have redo the question .
20(4) -39(5/13)(3) +39(12/13)(1) -60(3/5)(1)+60(4/5)(3)
=179N

werson tan said:
sorry , the book contain error , the 1m should be 12m on the 39N triangle . I have redo the question .
20(4) -39(5/13)(3) +39(12/13)(1) -60(3/5)(1)+60(4/5)(3)
=179N

As I said in my first post...
39(12/13)(1) should NOT be there as the (1) is actually (0)...can you see that?
and
60(4/5)(3) is actually 60(4/5)(2)
once you have got these
you should get 95 Nm for your answers

mjsd said:
As I said in my first post...
39(12/13)(1) should NOT be there as the (1) is actually (0)...can you see that?
and
60(4/5)(3) is actually 60(4/5)(2)
once you have got these
you should get 95 Nm for your answers
I know what u mean . In the above steps , I have resolved the 60N in this way( black and red) , whereas the green colour one is the resolution of force done by you .

For the 39N force , I have resolved the force in this way ( black and red)

Attachments

• 39N.png
    39N.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 383
  • 60N.png
    60N.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 381
werson tan said:
I know what u mean . In the above steps , I have resolved the 60N and 39N in this way( black and red) , whereas the green colour one is the resolution of force done by you .

For the 39N force , I have resolved the force in this way ( black and red)
yes , i know why it should be 39(12/13)(0), now my question is why can't I resolve the force in the way that i have posted earlier?
I have resolved the 60N and 39N in this way( black and red) , whereas the green colour one is the resolution of force done by you .

Attachments

• 39N.png
    39N.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 60N.png
    60N.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 354

Related to Moment about a point using graph paper

1. What is a moment about a point using graph paper?

A moment about a point using graph paper is a way to calculate the turning effect of a force around a specific point. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to understand the balance of forces in a system.

2. How is a moment about a point calculated using graph paper?

To calculate a moment about a point using graph paper, you need to measure the perpendicular distance between the force and the point of rotation. This distance is then multiplied by the magnitude of the force to determine the moment.

3. What units are used to measure a moment about a point?

The units used to measure a moment about a point depend on the units used to measure the force and distance. Generally, the SI unit for moment is Newton-meters (Nm) or Joules (J).

4. How is a moment about a point represented on a graph paper?

A moment about a point is represented by a vector, with the direction of the vector indicating the direction of rotation and the length representing the magnitude of the moment. The point of rotation is typically marked on the graph paper as well.

5. What is the importance of calculating moments about a point using graph paper?

Calculating moments about a point using graph paper is important because it allows us to understand the balance of forces in a system and determine the stability of an object. It is also essential in designing structures and machines to ensure they can withstand external forces without tipping or breaking.