Moment of Inertia of a hollow cone about its base

In summary: Any other ideas?In summary, the moment of inertia of a hollow cone of mass M, radius R, and height h about its base can be found by calculating the integral of ##r^2## with respect to mass, which is equal to the integral of ##r^2## times the mass density, which can be obtained by dividing the mass M by the surface area of the cone. The distance from the base, r, can be expressed as a function of x, and the area element can be found using the distance and the differential of x. After simplifying, the integral can be solved, resulting in a final answer of ##\frac{1}{4}M(R^2+2h^2)##.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Show that the moment of inertia of a hollow cone of mass M, radius R, and height h about its base is ##\frac{1}{4}M(R^2+2h^2)##

Homework Equations

##I=\int r^2dm##
where r is the perpendicular distance from the axis

Surface Area of a cone ##= \pi R (R^2+h^2)^{1/2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Mass density ##\sigma = \frac{M}{SA} = \frac{M}{\pi R(R^2+h^2)^{1/2}}##

Now ##I = \int r^2dm = \int r^2\sigma dA = \sigma \int r^2dA##
MOI.png

Now the distance from its base is given by ##r = r(x) = h(1-x/R)## and from the image I made it appears the area element is simply ##dA = 2\pi xds##, and ##ds = \sqrt{dx^2+dy^2} = \sqrt{1+y'(x)^2}dx##. Trivially ##y'(x)^2 = (h/R)^2## giving ##dA = 2\pi x \sqrt{1+(h/R)^2}dx## and $$I = \sigma \int r^2dA =\sigma \int_0^R h^2\left(1-\frac{x}{R}\right)^22\pi x \sqrt{1+\left(\frac{h}{R}\right)^2}dx \\ I = 2\pi\sigma h^2\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{h}{R}\right)^2}\int_0^R \left(1-\frac{x}{R}\right)^2 xdx$$

which clearly isn't going to give the answer since there's no way ##\sqrt{1+(h/R)^2}## will be cancelled

Physics news on Phys.org
You sure ? What about the integral to calculate ##\sigma## ?

Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the moment of inertia of a hollow cone of mass M, radius R, and height h about its base is ##\frac{1}{4}M(R^2+2h^2)##

Homework Equations

##I=\int r^2dm##

[/B]

Formulas for surface area are poorly presented on the web, and some of them seem wrong. The more credible sources give
$$\text{SA} = \pi R \left( R + \sqrt{R^2+h^2} \right), $$
but one should make absolutely sure by calculating the relevant integral.

Likes Potatochip911
Ray Vickson said:
Formulas for surface area are poorly presented on the web, and some of them seem wrong. The more credible sources give
$$\text{SA} = \pi R \left( R + \sqrt{R^2+h^2} \right), $$
but one should make absolutely sure by calculating the relevant integral.

BvU said:
You sure ? What about the integral to calculate ##\sigma## ?

Whoops, I forgot to mention it's an open ended cone. I.e. There is no base portion ##pi R^2##

Basically you have to calculate $$\int r^2 dm\over \int dm $$

Likes Potatochip911
BvU said:
Basically you have to calculate $$\int r^2 dm\over \int dm $$

Could you elaborate on why I need to calculate this quantity when moment of inertia is given by ##I = \int r^2 dm##?

Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##I=\int r^2dm##

[/B]

Now ##I = \int r^2dm = \int r^2\sigma dA = \sigma \int r^2dA##
View attachment 109197

Now the distance from its base is given by ##r = r(x) = h(1-x/R)## and from the image I made it appears the area element is simply ##dA = 2\pi xds##, and ##ds = \sqrt{dx^2+dy^2} = \sqrt{1+y'(x)^2}dx##. Trivially ##y'(x)^2 = (h/R)^2## giving ##dA = 2\pi x \sqrt{1+(h/R)^2}dx## and $$I = \sigma \int r^2dA =\sigma \int_0^R h^2\left(1-\frac{x}{R}\right)^22\pi x \sqrt{1+\left(\frac{h}{R}\right)^2}dx \\ I = 2\pi\sigma h^2\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{h}{R}\right)^2}\int_0^R \left(1-\frac{x}{R}\right)^2 xdx$$

which clearly isn't going to give the answer since there's no way ##\sqrt{1+(h/R)^2}## will be cancelled

Yes, it will cancel because it appears as well in the denominator of your equation for ##\sigma##.

Likes Potatochip911
Ray Vickson said:
Yes, it will cancel because it appears as well in the denominator of your equation for ##\sigma##.

Hmm, evaluating that integral gives ##I= Mh^2/6## which unfortunately isn't the correct answer

What is the moment of inertia of a hollow cone about its base?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cone about its base is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution and the shape of the cone.

How is the moment of inertia of a hollow cone about its base calculated?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cone about its base can be calculated using the formula I = (3/10)MR^2, where M is the mass of the cone and R is the radius of its base.

How does the moment of inertia of a hollow cone about its base compare to that of a solid cone?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cone about its base is smaller than that of a solid cone with the same mass and base radius. This is because the mass is distributed further away from the axis of rotation in a hollow cone, resulting in a smaller moment of inertia.

What is the effect of changing the shape of a hollow cone on its moment of inertia about its base?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cone about its base depends on its shape, specifically the distribution of mass. As the shape of the cone changes, so does its moment of inertia. A cone with a larger base radius will have a larger moment of inertia, while a cone with a smaller base radius will have a smaller moment of inertia.

How is the moment of inertia of a hollow cone about its base used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cone about its base is used in many engineering and physics applications, such as calculating the stability and rotational motion of objects like spinning tops, gyroscopes, and flywheels. It is also important in understanding the dynamics of rotating bodies, such as the motion of planets and stars.